Will this monitor work with a 2017 Macbook Retina? (not Macbook Pro - just he macbook)
- Asked by fn from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this monitor work with a 2017 Macbook Retina? (not Macbook Pro - just he macbook))
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display
2 Answers from the Community
Simple answer: No.
Long answer: Yes, but it's expensive, might not work, and won't allow you to use all the features of the display.
The LG UltraFine 5K is a Thunderbolt 3 display.
The MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. It has a USB-C port capable of outputting DisplayPort up to 4K 60Hz.
You can convert DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3 with a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, but you need a PCIe slot to power it such as one provided by a PC or a riser like the IT-GO "ADP-099-31".
The display contains a USB controller connected to the Thunderbolt 3 controller which a computer can only communicate with using PCIe through Thunderbolt 3. The functions of the display that require USB (such as USB ports, audio, camera, brightness control) will only be usable by a PC that contains and supports all the functions of the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (not just DisplayPort conversion, but also PCIe tunneling).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Answering my own ... No, as the Macbook does not support Thunderbolt 3.
- Answered by Robert K from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does apple remote pair with macbook pro retina?
- Asked by Tamara I from Brampton
- Flag as inappropriate (Does apple remote pair with macbook pro retina?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote
Will the airpods work with Macbook Pro retina?
- Asked by Alven N from Kuala Lumpur
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the airpods work with Macbook Pro retina?)
- Asked about: AirPods
is it bad to use Amy MacBook Pro while charging ?
- Asked by Chamod H
- Flag as inappropriate (is it bad to use Amy MacBook Pro while charging ?)