how to connect LG ultrafine 5K to Mac Mini
- Asked by Ka Wing Y from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (how to connect LG ultrafine 5K to Mac Mini)
1 Answer from the Community
The LG UltraFine 5K Display is a Thunderbolt 3 display, so you need to use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter to connect it to the Mac mini's Thunderbolt port.
The Apple support document HT206587 "Using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac" says the Mac mini (Late 2014) can do 4K but does not mention 4K @ 60 Hz, so I assume it can do 4K @ 30 Hz.
The Apple support document HT207448 "Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac" says the Mac mini (Late 2014) supports 3200 x 1800 @ 60Hz on the LG UltraFine 5K Display.
A program like SwitchResX might let you use different refresh rates for 4K between 30 and 60 Hz, but I don't know if the LG 5K display supports refresh rates other than 60 Hz.
If 4K @ 60 Hz does not work from the Mac mini, then you could try using an eGPU.
It might be possible to get 5K @ 60 Hz from an eGPU using an AMD graphics card (Nvidia doesn't have good 5K support in macOS). You'll also need a Thunderbolt 3 add in card with two DisplayPort inputs such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, and a way to power the PCIe card, such as the IT-GO "ADP-099-31" enclosure. You won't be able to use the speakers, camera, or USB ports of the LG 5K display using this method. You'll need to use a separate app to change the brightness using DDC/CI.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?
- Asked by Matthew G from Denver
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Ad…
Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?
- Asked by Jan C from Southport
- Flag as inappropriate (Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display