Does this device need to be dedicated to time machine backups or could it also be used at the same time for general Storage?
does it need to be specific to time time Machine Backs or could it have double use (time machine backups and normal storage)?
1 Answer from the Community
I've done this for several years now, with no problem, with the 2TB version and with La Cie's larger desktop 4TB models that I got a while ago. However, be aware that your time machine backups will expand to fill the space available for them, which may constrain how much data room you have unless you decide to store a limited number of files on the device before you start storing time machine backups. Once the drive is nearly filled with whatever combination of general storage and time machine backups is on it at that point, Time Machine will keep adding new backups but deleting the old ones, and you won't have much if any space for new general storage files on the drive.
- Answered by R Edward O from Ottawa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I run Time Machine backups with this device?
- Asked by Gianna O from Kansasville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I run Time Machine backups with this device?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mobile USB…
OS / Full migration from a Time Machine back-up to SSD
- Asked by James M from Marsfield
- Flag as inappropriate (OS / Full migration from a Time Machine back-up to SSD)
- Asked about: 512GB Solid-State Drive Kit for Mac…
I have a Time Capsule and rely on Time Machine to handle backups. Will these nodes co-exist with my existing Time Capsule/Machine and extend WiFi?
- Asked by Jim S from Palm Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Time Capsule and rely on Time Machine to handle backups. Will these nodes co-exist with my existing Time Capsule/Machine and extend WiFi?)
- Asked about: Linksys Velop Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi…