Can I use a longer thunderbolt replacement cable?
I'll be using the Blackmagic eGPU Pro with 27" iMac 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, 64GB 2400MHz DDR4, 2TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
- Asked by fn from Caguas
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a longer thunderbolt replacement cable?)
1 Answer from the Community
Short answer, yes. However if you are using a Thunderbolt 3 cable longer than apple's 0.8m you will need to make sure it is an active Thunderbolt cable. Most of the short Thunderbolt 3 cables are shorter than 0.8m [actually details list most are under 0.5m] because they are passive cables and lose the ability to handle the full Thunderbolt 3 data transfer rate if they go longer. [Full 40Gbps vs 20Gbps]
There is a lot of information out on the web about what an active vs. passive Thunderbolt 3 cable, but whatever cable you use it will need to be a true Thunderbolt 3 cable, not a USB-C cable and not an apple charging cable.
How that answers your question.
- Answered by Erik B from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is this cable available in a longer version Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable
- Asked by Gordon M from Bluffton
- 14 Dec 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this cable available in a longer version Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)
Can I attach this with a thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Robert H from Gladstone
- 28 Mar 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I attach this with a thunderbolt cable?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive