Does apple make an adapter that goes from Mini DP to HDMI and does the Mini DP carry sound or only video?
I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and would like to use my Samsung LCD Series 5 TV as a display to show Powerpoints and play games. I also want the 1-cable solution so that I don't have to run 3.5mm cable to my TV for the sound. Since HDMI caries sound signals, I would like to know the answer to my question.
- Asked by Juventino G from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate (Does apple make an adapter that goes from Mini DP to HDMI and does the Mini DP carry sound or only video?)
2 Answers from the Community
No A Group Called Moshi Make The Cable
- Answered by Henry V from Brisbane
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Apple does not have a mini DP to HDMI adapter out yet. (I do believe there are 3rd party options....search on Amazon)
Unfortunately, miniDP ports do not carry sound. So even if there was a miniDP-to-HDMI cable, you would still need an additional cable to get sound into your TV/audio receiver.
Most people seem to be using the miniDP-to-DVI adapter to connect their Macbooks to their HDTVs, but there are HDCP issues when trying to play copyrighted HD rentals over DVI.
mini-DP to VGA could be a better route as you won't have the HDCP issues. In all cases, you need an additional audio cable.
In theory, someone could create a cable that had miniDP AND a 3.5mm jack as one end, and an HDMI jack on the other end. (assuming the miniDP and audio-out port on the laptop are close enough to each other)
Maybe the next Macbooks will have HDMI out ports and solve all our problems. I doubt it.
- Answered by Jacob M from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
1.8M Mini Display Port DP to HDMI Cable Adapter
- Asked by Thomas B
- Flag as inappropriate (1.8M Mini Display Port DP to HDMI Cable Adapter)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI-to-HDMI Cable 1.8m
Can I connect mini-DP cable to MacBook by this adapter?
- Asked by Xin X from Waltham
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect mini-DP cable to MacBook by this adapter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
Can the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter be used simultaneously with the Mini DP to VGA adapter?
- Asked by Andrew H from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter be used simultaneously with the Mini DP to VGA adapter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…