can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
I have an 8TB G-Raid Studio drive that I'm trying to connect to my airport extreme via a thunderbolt to ethernet connector for media storage.
My network is setup as follows 2TB Time Capsule --> 8 port gigabit network switch --> Airport Express x 2 & Airport Extreme.
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to the TC for my work server. I wanted to use this raid drive for a media server. I have connected the raid drive to the Airport Extreme using the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connector but can't seem to have the drive recognized on the network... How can I fix this?
1 Answer from the Community
No it dosent because the thunderport does not start by itself and airport won t wake it but that said some hdd can start by themself or with a on off switch then it might work or it might not butyou then have to set a thunderbolt bridge in the network settings but some is you have a nas or hdd with ethernet port it will work when connected directly on a mac thunderbolt port but not if daisychain
- Answered by Matthieu M from Montreal
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?
- Asked by Robert L from Laguna Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Which external hard drives have Thunderbolt connections?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
Can I connect an external hard drive with the USB connector to my mini iPad.
- Asked by Norma B from Wellington
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect an external hard drive with the USB connector to my mini iPad.)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
Can I connect an external DVD player and external hard drive (with USB) to an iPad through this?
- Asked by Ls B from Berrien Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect an external DVD player and external hard drive (with USB) to an iPad through this?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter