Is this Thunderbolt 3?
- Asked by Josephine L from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this Thunderbolt 3?)
1 Answer from the Community
No, it's Thunderbolt 2. In order to use it with a Thunderbolt 3 port, you'd need a Thunderbolt-3-to-Thunderbolt-2 adapter. There's one on the store... search for "Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter"
As unwieldy (and expensive) as chaining two adapters together may seem, at the time of this writing, it's probably the most reliable way to have a highly-portable, high-performance, reliable Ethernet connection. Any other USB-C dongle-style adapter available today will add its Ethernet port via the Type-C port's USB 3 channel, not the Thunderbolt channel. This makes the adapter much more prone to issues with reliability, driver compatibility, heat, and CPU usage.
If something less portable is an option for you, I'd recommend using a Thunderbolt 3 dock to add an Ethernet port, since it would use the Thunderbolt channel, giving you better reliability and performance. I've used one by CalDigit with no issues, and Apple sells one by Belkin here on the store... search for "Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD"
- Answered by Matthew J from Dublin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is this only compatible with Thunderbolt 3 devices?
- Asked by Garth B from Idaho Falls
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this only compatible with Thunderbolt 3 devices?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display
Can I use a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter to use this?
- Asked by Steven W from Milford
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter to use this?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…
Does this support thunderbolt 3 data transfer?
- Asked by David S from Providence
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this support thunderbolt 3 data transfer?)
- Asked about: USB-C Charge Cable (2m)