Can I connect my WD time machine firewire to my iMac using a thunderbolt adaptor
- Asked by Dianne A from Mission Viejo
- Flag as inappropriate Can I connect my WD time machine firewire to my iMac using a thunderbolt adaptor
2 Answers from the Community
The type of firewire is important to get a straight answer, If you have firewire 800/9pin you can use a (Usb 3 to thunderbolt and then a Thunderbolt to firewire 800/9 pin) Part # A1463 AND A1790 BOTH MADE BY APPLE! Stay away form non apple made connectors they fail at every turn. My wish would be that apple would make a usb3.0 or 3.? to firewire that would make a lot of Mac people happy! Hope this helps...
- Answered by Phillip L from Elk Grove
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
If you have an iMac with Thunderbolt 3 ports, then you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. You could also use a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 2 dock that has a FireWire port. You could also use a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box and insert a PCIe FireWire card which may have more than one FireWire port.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
How can I connect my MacBook Air (via thunderbolt) to my 500GB drive (has Firewire 800 and Firewire 400)?
How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?
can this be used as a time machine?
- Asked by Kenneth R from Boca Raton
- 28 Nov 2019
- Flag as inappropriate can this be used as a time machine?