Does this transformer draw a trickle of power when plugged in a live socket but not charging a device
I'm using an Apple USB transformer to plug into UK power. Does the transformer draw power when plugged into a normal power socket even when there is no device connected for charging? It doesn'seem to get warm like many transformers,
1 Answer from the Community
No, it does not. When first plugged in, there is a brief ½ second, one tenth Watt reading, but quickly goes to zero when nothing is attached. This is expected behavior for intelligent, energy conserving power supplies.
The resolution of my Kill-A-Watt meter is 0.01 Amp, or 0.05 Watt, so it's possible it may have a minute draw below that resolution, but that would be negligible and not considered a "vampire draw," like older technology.
- Answered by M. K from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
What is the power draw of the SuperDrive? Will a .5 amp hub socket provide enough power?
- Asked by John D from Shelburne
- 10 Jan 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the power draw of the SuperDrive? Will a .5 amp hub socket provide enough power?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive
Can the usb port on this adapter draw power to charge other devices such as from and iPad to an iPhone?
- Asked by Peyton C
- 22 Oct 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the usb port on this adapter draw power to charge other devices such as from and iPad to an iPhone?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter