can they be used as hearing aids?
- Asked by Leon R from Center Moriches
- Flag as inappropriate (can they be used as hearing aids?)
4 Answers from the Community
There are several iOS apps that function as a hearing aid using the single microphone in the wired EarPods (See Petralex for one app that adjusts for L&R hearing loss by frequency). Since the AirPods feature a microphone on *both* left and right devices, I am extremely optimistic that developers will create an iOS app that will be able to triangulate audio inputs for improved directional reception and sound adjustment. Based on my current experience with that app using EarPods in noisy restaurants and at concerts, I anticipate that the Airpods may well provide an affordable adaptive device alternative for people with gradual age-related hearing loss.
- Answered by Ross M from Eugene
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It all comes down to the Bluetooth, which causes a .5 second lag between when a sound is made and when it is heard by the user.
With their built-in mics and processor, and Siri support, AirPods seem like an ideal hardware solution for developers of hearing assistance software like Petralex. I very much hope they can get around the Bluetooth delay and give us iPhone users an alternative to overpriced conventional hearing aids.
- Answered by John M from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have used my airpods with Fennex. The app is free and compatible with airpods differently from other hearing aid apps mentioned before. True, there is an audible delay which completely confuses your brain. The best set up I found is to use the iPhone mic to get the sound and the AirPods as output. You can leave your phone even 100 meters away from the airpods for example in a big classroom or outdoor space. In that case the delay becomes no relevant and the sound quality good.
- Answered by Martin S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
No, they're just wireless earphones, nothing more I'm afraid.
- Answered by James F from North Albury
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Any of these headphones hearing aid compatible?
- Asked by Elsha K from Richfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Any of these headphones hearing aid compatible?)
- Asked about: Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headpho…
No answers yet
Will the Beats X work with my hearing aids?
- Asked by Donald H from Sumter
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Beats X work with my hearing aids?)
- Asked about: BeatsX Earphones - Matt Gold
No answers yet
will apple watch be able to connect to by Bluetooth hearing aids
- Asked by Judith B from Highland Park
- Flag as inappropriate (will apple watch be able to connect to by Bluetooth hearing aids)
- Asked about: Watch