Does the Apple Thunderbolt Display charge the new MacBook Pro 2016 over this adapter or should I use an external power supply for the computer?
7 Answers from the Community
No. The thunderbolt display does not provide power back over it's thunderbolt connection.
The thunderbolt display can only provide power via its Magsafe connector, but that can't be used to provide power to the USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro's. (unless some sort of MagSafe to USB-C adapter comes along, but I have not heard of such thing yet.)
- Answered by Maarten O
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No, it wont charge your macbook pro
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
This adapter does not carry power
- Answered by Ryan K from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
As charging is not a feature of Thunderbolt 2, the Apple Thunderbolt Display cannot charge devices using this adapter.
- Answered by Edward K from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
You will need an external power supply.
- Answered by Jesse S from Alpharetta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
You need a separate power supply.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
No. The Thunderbolt display provides power via a MagSafe connector; this adapter does not have a MagSafe connector, and there is currently no way to get one on the new MacBook Pro. You will need a separate USB-C power supply like the one that comes with the computer.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Does this adapter provide power to a MacBook Pro 2016 when connected to an Elegato Thunderbolt 2 dock? I want to power my MacBook Pro this way. Thanks
On the new MacBookPro how do I hook up to external DVI monitor?
- Asked by Ernie G from Largo
- Flag as inappropriate (On the new MacBookPro how do I hook up to external DVI monitor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter