The description says this can be used for Thunderbolt displays. What about the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display?
The Apple Thunderbolt Display has a cable with both a Thunderbolt connector for audio/video/ethernet, and a MagSafe connector so that the display could power a laptop and effectively operate as a docking station.
It seems that this adapter could handle the audio/video and perhaps the ethernet as well, but I assume that the laptop would need to use a second USB-C for power.
8 Answers from the Community
I tried it and it handles audio/video/USB, but for some reason not ethernet.
- Answered by Franklin W from Folsom
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You are right.
That's is exactly a use case for which this adapter is created.
The magsafe connector from the display would indeed be left unused. Power to the notebook would have to be provided through another port on the notebook.
(Note: For the MacBook retina 12" (early 2015 and early 2016) which has only a single USB-C without Thunderbolt support this would of course not work)
- Answered by Maarten O
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Correct on all counts.
Apple has a support document entitled "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" detailing it (I'm not allowed to post the link here).
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
The Thunderbolt capabilities should be supported. You will need a separate USB-C charging cable.
- Answered by Edward K from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
yes, you can use it to connect to a thunderbolt display, you will need to use a second usb-c for power
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
That is correct. Bus-Powering will not flow from the older Thunderbolt to newer Thunderbolt end of the adapter.
- Answered by David H from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
- Answered by Jesse S from Alpharetta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 7
That is correct: you would need a separate USB-C power connector/charger, but this adapter would let you use the display/audio/video/ethernet/USB/camera on a Thunderbolt Display.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 8
Can this be used to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Daniel A from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Will this work for the 27 inch Thunderbolt Apple Display?
- Asked by Dianna P from Spring Hill
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work for the 27 inch Thunderbolt Apple Display?)
- Asked about: VESA Mount Adapter Kit for iMac and…
Is this compatible with the Apple 27-inch thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Matthew H
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this compatible with the Apple 27-inch thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: Kensington SafeStand Secure ClickSa…