Will this provide power to my MacBook Pro 2016 from an Apple Thunderbolt Display?
Currently, with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, there's a MagSafe cable that provides power to my MacBook Pro 2012 Retina while all peripherals are connected via Thunderbolt . So, will this adapter provide power and peripheral connectivity or will I have to purchase a new LG Thunderbolt 3 Monitor?
3 Answers from the Community
Charging from the ATD won't work. You need a separate power source.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. The Thunderbolt display provides power via a MagSafe connector; this adapter does not have a MagSafe connector, and there is currently no way to get one on the new MacBook Pro.
You do not have to purchase a new monitor: this adapter will work fine for the MacBook Pro 2016 and a Thunderbolt Display, allowing you to use the display, audio, camera, microphone, USB ports, and ethernet ports on the thunderbolt display. You will need to plug in a second cable, just as you always have, for power, except that it will need to be a USB-C cable and charger. One of those comes with the new MacBook Pros.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Does this adapter provide power to a MacBook Pro 2016 when connected to an Elegato Thunderbolt 2 dock? I want to power my MacBook Pro this way. Thanks
Can I use both an LG UltraFine 5K Display and the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) with a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Romain M
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use both an LG UltraFine 5K Display and the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) with a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display