Can Is there a way to use this monitor with an hdmi only computer? or how could i plug in my hdmi PlayStation to the USB-C connection?
- Asked by fn from Marietta
LG UltraFine 5K Display
Product No Longer Available
1 Answer from the Community
Quick answer: no.
Long answer: yes, but it's very expensive and might not work:
The LG UltraFine 5K display is a Thunderbolt 3 display. To connect to a Playstation, you need the following:
1) one HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter such as the one from SIIG ($200).
2) one Thunderbolt 3 add-in card such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE (converts DisplayPort 1.2 to Thunderbolt 3) ($56).
3) one PCIe slot (to power the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card) such as a PCIe slot provided by the IT-GO "ADP-099-31" ($140), or by a PC that has an empty PCIe slot ($???).
The lowest resolution supported by the LG 5K is 2560x1440p 60 Hz. A less expensive HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter ($104) should work in that case, but a normal PS4 only supports up to 1080p so you'll need at least a PS4 Pro.
The HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 adapter might only support HDCP 1.4 instead of HDCP 2.2, so some content in some apps might not be playable.
The LG 5K requires that the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card be in a computer that has full support of the card to use functions of the display that depend on communicating with the USB controller in the display through the Thunderbolt connection (the functions are: audio, camera, USB ports, and brightness control). A computer that does not have full support of the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card can still provide power to enable at least the add-in card's DisplayPort 1.2 to Thunderbolt 3 conversion process.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley