Does the WiFi-only 9.7 inch iPad have GPS or not?
On the Apple UK store web site there appears to be some ambiguity about this.One page suggests hat all models, even the current iPad mini, have GPS, and another page seems to say you have to have the SIM card version to get it, as was certainly the case in the past.
Does anyone know if you have to have the SIM version to get GPS? I really want the GPS but I don't care about being on the mobile network.
Thanks for any answer.
1 Answer from the Community
It's my understanding that the cell phone models have an antenna that wraps around the outside of the model. That is what provides the GPS service.
I have a first gen iPad that I use to fly with, using Foreflight for navigation. This iPad has cell service available (deactivated) and it works fine. I also have a newer wi-fi only iPad (but not brand new) that will not provide a GPS location for this app.
My guess is you have to have the cell/SIM model to have GPS capability, but you don't have to be on the wireless network. That's been my experience, anyway.
- Answered by Knox F from Jackson
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use Whatsapp with the iPad 9.7 inch
- Asked by Alicia N from Montevideo
- Sep 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Whatsapp with the iPad 9.7 inch)
No answers yet
Silicon case for 9.7 ipad specifications
- Asked by Neal P from Orem
- Oct 12, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Silicon case for 9.7 ipad specifications)
- Asked about: Silicone Case for 9.7-inch iPad Pro…
No answers yet
Will the apple pencil work on the 9.7 ipad 2017 model?
- Asked by Dhirendra C from Lelydorp
- Jun 11, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the apple pencil work on the 9.7 ipad 2017 model?)