Can I use the 12 W usb power adapter to charge my iPhone 5
- Asked by Robert L from Bethesda
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the 12 W usb power adapter to charge my iPhone 5)
- Asked about: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, you can use this charger. You can always use a power adapter with a higher wattage rating for *any* device.† This is because the wattage rating is the maximum number of watts the device is *capable* of outputting, not the amount it *will* output. It's the connected device which determines how much power is actually drawn.
The same isn't true for output voltage, however. You need the output voltage to match that of the device. In the case of USB chargers, you don't need to worry about this because the USB specification always uses a fixed voltage.
The cable which you need would be the same as the one that came with your iPad mini 2.
† But you should never use a power adapter with a rating less than that of the device to which it connects, even if it appears to work. Doing so may overheat the power adapter, permanently damage it, or might even lead to a fire.
- Answered by M. K from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can i use 12w usb power adapter to charge my iphone 8?
- Asked by Pravin K from Sydney
- Feb 16, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use 12w usb power adapter to charge my iphone 8?)
- Asked about: Lightning to Micro USB Adapter
Can I use the USB power adapter from my iPhone 5 to charge an I watch
- Asked by Christine O from Surprise
- Dec 1, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the USB power adapter from my iPhone 5 to charge an I watch)
- Asked about: Apple 5W USB Power Adapter (Folding…