Can this be configured as JBOD? (6 individual volumes without raid).
I want to set up as an external hard drive to back up my current data with Time Machine and also to add work data which I can access easily on a daily basis.
First question: Is JBOD the best solution for this situation and if so, second question: If I set up as JBOD does it mean that 6 icons will appear as 6 separate drives or will it be shown as one large drive?
2 Answers from the Community
I have the 4 platter version of this. Mine is configured as JBOD. One disk is used for Time Machine backup of my iMac. A second is used to store my photos and videos. A third is a weekly automated Clone backup of the iMac's internal boot drive. The fourth is used for testing.
Yes, each disk has its own icon on the desktop of the iMac. Of course, you can also partition one or more of the bare metal drives in the box so you'll have even MORE separate drive icons on the desktop of the computer to which it's attached.
It's amazingly quick compared to other external drives unless those other drives are also TB2 - connected.
- Answered by James S R from Santa Rosa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It appears that the "diskless" version of the R4 is no longer available, but Promise Utility software did support JBOD. JBOD should show up as a separate icon for every HDD, the same way they did on previous Mac pros.
Sure, this will work for a super fast Time Machine backup (although that speed is generally unnecessary and a very expensive solution). Just remember that the extra "work data" won't be backed up at all unless you create some type of RAID in the Pegasus. Your ideal solution is multiple RAID types in the single enclosure, or set it up as a RAID 5 for everything.
You should really contact Promise with specific configuration questions.
- Answered by Eric F from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
What RAID configuration does it ship with?
- Asked by Rex W from Rexburg
- Jun 26, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (What RAID configuration does it ship with?)
- Asked about: PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 32TB (8 x 4TB) …
If I have two AirPort Extremes, with the same disk size, can I configure a RAID so that they mirror each other?
- Asked by Tomas B
- Aug 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have two AirPort Extremes, with the same disk size, can I configure a RAID so that they mirror each other?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Is there a way to upgrade multiple Macs to Snow Leopard without having to use boxed copies? Currently looking to upgrade around 40 Macs in a school.
- Asked by Daniel R
- May 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to upgrade multiple Macs to Snow Leopard without having to use boxed copies? Currently looking to upgrade around 40 Macs in a school.)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard