What's the point of the USB port on this adapter? Is it just an extension to plug things into?
2 Answers from the Community
The 30" Apple Cinema Display has four cables that come out the back 1) Dual-Link DVI, 2) USB 2, 3) Firewire 400, and 4) power. I believe the adapter's USB port was put there to allow the adapter to supply power to the 30" ACD two USB ports. So although the adapter is suitable for any Dual-Link DVI monitor, Apple certainly wanted it to work with it's own monitor.
Interestingly, the adapter does not have a socket for Firewire 400 so, the Firewire 400 cable from the monitor goes unused and thus the two Firewire 400 ports on the back of the monitor no longer function.
- Answered by Barry B from Placentia
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have this adapter. It seems to behave as you described. I am able to plug a keyboard into it and it works fine. I'm guessing this is to accommodate the fact that the adapter takes up a USB port.
- Answered by William Y from North Attleboro
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is there a compatible extension cord for earphones like this?
- Asked by James H from Richardson
- Feb 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a compatible extension cord for earphones like this?)
- Asked about: Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote…