Is it possible to stream music at 24/192 via the new airport express using the optical output
- Asked by Kenneth D from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to stream music at 24/192 via the new airport express using the optical output)
1 Answer from the Community
Kenneth has a very simple question that very few people understand unfortunatelly. I wondered about this myself, because I would very much be able to stream hi-res audio via AE. I ended up calling Apple Support to get a straight answer. After waiting on the phoneline and eventually be put trough to a person that should have been able to answer, he really did not understand the question. But eventually he was able to ask a colleage and the answer was clear! NO, the new AE is not technically upgraded, same resolution as before 16-bit wordlenght and samplerate "locked" to 44,1kHz. So Apple confirmed Apple TV still has the edge with 16/48, but it dont do much difference for me.
I bought the new AE later only because the the extra ethernet port, that was practical for me so I could connect my Apple TV to new AE LAN port.
And I can confirm the new AE still is 16/44, I see the sample rate on my DAC. If the audio from my computer is 24/96.... AE will still down sample to 16/44 as always..too bad!!
- Answered by Rune D
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is it possible to get optical output from the stereo port?
- Asked by Seokyoung A from Edinburg
- May 22, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to get optical output from the stereo port?)
- Asked about: iPhone Lightning Dock - White
How do you use the Airport Extreme but retain the ability to stream music? I have an Airport Express but want to upgrade for better speed to Extreme.
- Asked by Christopher A from Phoenix
- Apr 19, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How do you use the Airport Extreme but retain the ability to stream music? I have an Airport Express but want to upgrade for better speed to Extreme.)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme