can i upgrade OS 9.9 to OS 10.6 on a Imac dual intel machine
- Asked by Clifford H from Sherwood Park
- Flag as inappropriate (can i upgrade OS 9.9 to OS 10.6 on a Imac dual intel machine)
1 Answer from the Community
You can do a clean install OS 10.6. Or, you could experiment doing an "upgrade".
This is what I would recommend either way...
Create a new hard drive partition or borrow an external hard drive. (If using an external, transfer/clone your internal partition with OS 9 to it, and make sure you can start up your iMac from the external hard drive. This is so you can go back to your former OS for whatever reason.) Then begin installing Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) to the new internal hard drive partition or, if you moved everything to an external HD, to the internal hard drive by first erasing the internal (see link below).
All Snow Leopard install disks are capable of doing a clean install (including the US$29 disk). Follow these instructions (which includes instructions on erasing/formatting the partition where OS 10.6 will be installed):
When I did the clean install using the $29 disk, during the installation I was asked if I wanted to import the OS Settings, Applications and/or Files from my external hard drive that had OS 10.4.11 on it. I don't know if the installer will try to import from OS 9.
There are a few questions that I have of you:
1) I don't recall OS 9 going past version OS 9.2.
2) Are you sure you have OS 9 on a iMac dual intel? I thought all iMac dual intel computers came with OSX.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this work to upgrade to IOS X Yosimite to my Mac OS X 10.6.8 ; 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ; 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM? I have no clue...
- Asked by Michael S from Round Rock
- Mar 18, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work to upgrade to IOS X Yosimite to my Mac OS X 10.6.8 ; 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ; 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM? I have no clue...)
- Asked about: Apple Memory Module 4GB 1866MHz DDR…
does it work with mac os 10.6.8
- Asked by Clare M from Kelowna
- Sep 15, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (does it work with mac os 10.6.8)
- Asked about: Magic Mouse 2
Will the Airport Extreme work with my iMac OS X v10.6.8?
- Asked by Rob H from Versailles
- Mar 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Extreme work with my iMac OS X v10.6.8?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme