How to install Snow Leopard
Recently recieved and old imac which I updated to OS X 10.5.8: however, even with snow leopard downloaded, I can not install it because my software is not at 10.6 yet. What do I do?
- Asked by Zane A
- Flag as inappropriate (How to install Snow Leopard)
1 Answer from the Community
OS 10.6 is Snow Leopard, that is what you are trying to put on. To my knowledge, Snow Leopard is only available on DVD from Apple and once installed all updates should be done through "Software Update" under the "Apple" menu. If you downloaded Snow Leopard from somewhere, you may have downloaded an update instead of the full retail version of Snow Leopard.
You will require the Snow Leopard DVD. It was recently sold out at the online Apple Store, but I see it is available again but with a 3 to 4 week wait time (probably so Apple can get more DVDs produced).
Please note that your old iMac must have an Intel processor in order for Snow Leopard to install. It cannot have a PowerPC processor.
To check which processor the old iMac has, go to "About This Mac" in the "Apple" Menu. To be able to install Snow Leopard, make sure the word "Intel" appears somewhere beside "Processor".
(Also note: Snow Leopard will not install on Macs sold since 2011 or so, but Snow Leopard may run on more recent Macs. Simply install on an external drive using an old intel-based Mac, then connect drive to newer Mac and try starting up from it.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?
- Asked by James B from Prince George
- Sep 26, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?)
- Asked about: Apple Memory Module 4GB 1866MHz DDR…
I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer
- Asked by Bettina G from Jupiter
- May 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
how do i install superdrive
- Asked by Kyle M from Penryn
- May 24, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i install superdrive)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive