I have an Imac with OS10.5.8, How do I upgrade to the latest operating system?
Is snow leopard the most recent OS? how do I get the most recent installed?
- Asked by Stephanie S from Sacramento
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an Imac with OS10.5.8, How do I upgrade to the latest operating system?)
1 Answer from the Community
Lion (OS 10.7) is the most recent OS.
But, you must have Snow Leopard (OS10.6.6 or later) installed before you can install Lion. Snow Leopard requires an Intel processor and 1GB of memory. Lion requires at least an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of memory. Snow Leopard only comes via DVD. Lion only comes via download.
So, if you have the minimum hardware requirements, then buy the Snow Leopard DVD and do that upgrade. Do software updates to bring it up to OS 10.6.8. Then go to the online Apple Store and download Lion to upgrade.
Please note: Lion discontinues support for Rosetta, so older apps will not run. You may want to have two partitions on your iMac with a clone of your Snow Leopard OS on each. Then upgrade only one of the partitions to Lion. That way you can still start up in Snow Leopard if you need to run an older app.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can i use airport tc with os 10.5.8 system reqs say setup and admin needs lion but other features don't require lion
- Asked by Jeff S from Hampstead
- Jul 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use airport tc with os 10.5.8 system reqs say setup and admin needs lion but other features don't require lion)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can I use an Apple remote with the latest IMAC?
- Asked by Jeoffrey B from Santa Barbara
- Apr 4, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use an Apple remote with the latest IMAC?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote