I have an original mac book pro (I think I bought it in 2009) and need to update the OS system. Which version or versions do I need to purchase?
1 Answer from the Community
The first generation MacBook Pro was introduced in January 2006.
Second generation came out in October 2008.
The third generation in June 2012.
Please get the Model ID of your Mac. Go to Apple Menu --> About This Mac --> More Info --> System Report. Select "Hardware" on left panel. Under "Hardware Overview" in right panel is the Model Identifier.
If the Model ID is "MacBookPro1,1" or "MacBookPro1,2" the highest OS X supported is OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
If the Model ID is "MacBookPro2,1" or "MacBookPro2,2" the highest OS X supported is OS 10.7 (Lion) (min 2GB memory required).
Any Model ID from "MacBookPro3,1" onwards can support OS 10.11 (El Capitan) (min 2GB memory required).
If the Mac is running OS 10.5.8 or earlier, it must first be upgraded to OS 10.6 using Snow Leopard install disk ($20 at online Apple Store). Do software update (under the Apple Menu) to bring up to OS 10.6.8.
Once your Mac is running OS 10.6.8 or any later version of OS X:
then to upgrade to OS 10.11 directly, go to the App Store app (which is on all Macs from OS 10.6.8 onwards) and download and install OS 10.11 (it is free). (Please note, this is a 6GB download, so be very, very patient. During download, to see how far along it has progressed, hover the mouse cursor over the "Launchpad" icon in the dock. It can take anywhere from 1 hour to over a day depending on server load and connection speed.)
If needing to upgrade just to OS 10.7, go to online Apple Store and purchase a redemption code ($20) for Lion. With redemption code you will receive instructions to go to the App Store app in order to download and install.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
What I need is Os 10.7.2 . Where can I buy it?
- Asked by Hector F from Yauco
- Oct 22, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (What I need is Os 10.7.2 . Where can I buy it?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
Where do I find the old style Mac Book Pro Charger for a Mac Book Pro purchased in 2009?
- Asked by Charlene G from Moraga
- Sep 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Where do I find the old style Mac Book Pro Charger for a Mac Book Pro purchased in 2009?)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…
Is this what I need to hook up a 13.3 Mac book Pro to my NEC Multisync CRT monitor?
- Asked by John B from Louisville
- Apr 25, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this what I need to hook up a 13.3 Mac book Pro to my NEC Multisync CRT monitor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter