Which OS will be installed in default if I get a new 13inch (WITHOUT RETINA DISPLAY) macbook pro now?
Hi guys as the above questions stated, which OS will be installed if I get a new 13inch macbook pro (WITHOUT RETINA DISPLAY)?
Is it possible for me to choose Yosemite instead if it's the latest El Capitan? As there are some problems with El Capitan with a software I intend to use.
Thanks in advance! :)
1 Answer from the Community
My experience with Mac purchases is when buying a new Mac you will always receive the newest OS. The newest OS is OS 10.11 (El Capitan).
The other experience I have had in recent years is that when bought new, the Mac will not allow you "to install" an older version of the OS than what comes with the Mac at time of purchase. ( * See note 2 below.)
[Note 1: OS 10.6, OS 10.7, and OS 10.8 can still be purchased by visiting the Apple Store online. OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and OS 10.10 (Yosemite) were free but are no longer available for download (unless you already have them installed and need to download for recovery). OS 10.11 is downloaded for free through the App Store app. The reason OS 10.9 and OS 10.10 are no longer available is that any Mac that is supported by OS 10.9 or OS 10.10 is also supported by OS 10.11.]
[ * Note 2: Although one can not "install" an older version of the OS, it may be possible to run an older version of the OS. For example, use an older Mac to install older version of OS to an external drive, then connect external drive to new Mac and see if you can start up from the external drive. I have done this with OS 10.6 on an old iMac when I purchased a new iMac with OS 10.8. The new Mac would not run the installer, but will run OS 10.6 with no problem. Test that all features you need will work. In my case they did, but an older OS will likely not support hardware features introduced after the next version of the OS is released.]
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?
- Asked by Steven N C from Brimfield
- Jul 15, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive
Does the 85W MagSafe2 Power adapter work on my macbook pro with 13 inch retina display without any damage?
- Asked by Yaxue L from Gainesville
- Dec 17, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the 85W MagSafe2 Power adapter work on my macbook pro with 13 inch retina display without any damage?)
- Asked about: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (…
Will this connector work to attach my Apple 20 inch Cinema Display to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)?
- Asked by Nathan T
- Dec 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this connector work to attach my Apple 20 inch Cinema Display to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)?)
- Asked about: Apple HDMI to DVI Adapter