can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
I have an 8TB G-Raid Studio drive that I'm trying to connect to my airport extreme via a thunderbolt to ethernet connector for media storage.
My network is setup as follows 2TB Time Capsule --> 8 port gigabit network switch --> Airport Express x 2 & Airport Extreme.
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to the TC for my work server. I wanted to use this raid drive for a media server. I have connected the raid drive to the Airport Extreme using the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connector but can't seem to have the drive recognized on the network... How can I fix this?
1 Answer from the Community
No it dosent because the thunderport does not start by itself and airport won t wake it but that said some hdd can start by themself or with a on off switch then it might work or it might not butyou then have to set a thunderbolt bridge in the network settings but some is you have a nas or hdd with ethernet port it will work when connected directly on a mac thunderbolt port but not if daisychain
- Answered by Matthieu M from Montreal
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
External storage via ethernet?
- Asked by Devon S from Richmond
- Nov 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (External storage via ethernet?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
No answers yet
Transferring existing external backup hard drives to Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Armando M from Wilson
- Aug 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Transferring existing external backup hard drives to Airport Time Capsule?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
CAN I CONNECT POWERED EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO AIRPORT EXTREME
- Asked by Mary Mae A
- Oct 6, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (CAN I CONNECT POWERED EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO AIRPORT EXTREME)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme