Can I use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter to add a 2nd net port to my Mini? I want a dedicated line to a storage server plus independent intranet.
I have a RAID server that provides network storage. The bulk of my big file transfers are to the Mac Mini I'm using as a server. I'd like to keep those transfers from using bandwidth on the rest of my network, and I can live with my other computers accessing the RAID server via the Mini. I'd like the Mini to be able to talk simultaneously on both networks at close to full speed. I've seen other adapters that do this, but they cost hundreds of dollars. Will the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter meet my goal?
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, this works fine and is also a useful solution for turning a Mac mini into a router. There is one caveat, however. Unlike the built-in Ethernet port, the adapter port does not support auto-MDIX, i.e., it is strictly an MDI connection and must be connected to an MDIX port on a switch/router, etc. or you must use a cross-over adapter/cable to swap the pairs.
- Answered by Erik L from Hillsboro
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
dual display from mac mini server
- Asked by Phil S
- Jul 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (dual display from mac mini server)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
No answers yet
Can I use this cable to connect a 30" cinema display to my 15" MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt storage device in the daisy chain?
- Asked by George M from Phoenix
- Oct 10, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this cable to connect a 30" cinema display to my 15" MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt storage device in the daisy chain?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Does this adapter support bidirectional data transfer, want to add a sudo usb 3.0 port to my mid 2011 mac mini
- Asked by Matthew V from Rockville Centre
- May 9, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support bidirectional data transfer, want to add a sudo usb 3.0 port to my mid 2011 mac mini)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…