Is this Thunderbolt 3?
- Asked by fn from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this Thunderbolt 3?)
1 Answer from the Community
No, it's Thunderbolt 2. In order to use it with a Thunderbolt 3 port, you'd need a Thunderbolt-3-to-Thunderbolt-2 adapter. There's one on the store... search for "Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter"
As unwieldy (and expensive) as chaining two adapters together may seem, at the time of this writing, it's probably the most reliable way to have a highly-portable, high-performance, reliable Ethernet connection. Any other USB-C dongle-style adapter available today will add its Ethernet port via the Type-C port's USB 3 channel, not the Thunderbolt channel. This makes the adapter much more prone to issues with reliability, driver compatibility, heat, and CPU usage.
If something less portable is an option for you, I'd recommend using a Thunderbolt 3 dock to add an Ethernet port, since it would use the Thunderbolt channel, giving you better reliability and performance. I've used one by CalDigit with no issues, and Apple sells one by Belkin here on the store... search for "Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD"
- Answered by Matthew J from Dublin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
is this an active or passive thunderbolt 3 cable?
- Asked by Ozgun S from San Jose
- Sep 4, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (is this an active or passive thunderbolt 3 cable?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)
How do I connect my printer to a Thunderbolt-3 port?
- Asked by Steven B V from Columbus
- Jul 6, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect my printer to a Thunderbolt-3 port?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
Is there any adapter to Thunderbolt3 to use them with a MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Blanca V from Guelph
- Feb 22, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there any adapter to Thunderbolt3 to use them with a MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: urBeats3 Earphones with Lightning C…