ok so I have a brand new MacBook pro(2018) and I have a Sony vx2100 and I'm not sure what adapter to get.

does the apple thunderbolt firewire adapter come with both the usb and firewire connections or do I need to buy two different adapters?
(my Mac only has two ports)

Back To Product

Follow this Question

2 Answers from the Community

  • 1) The Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter was made for Thunderbolt (also compatible with Thunderbolt 2). It does not come with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

    2) To connect the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter to the MacBook Pro, you also need the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (other manufacturers make a similar adapter, but they are more expensive, might be incompatible with macOS, and don't have the bidirectional feature that lets you use Thunderbolt 3 devices with a Thunderbolt 2 computer - but you don't need that last feature).

    3) You'll also need an i.LINK to FireWire 800 cable (4 pin to 9 pin). Search for FireWire, i.LINK, or IEEE-1394.

    4) Instead of 1 and 2, you could use a OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock.

    Was this useful? Answer 1

    1 of 2 people found this useful

  • Can't you transfer stuff from the camera to the MacBook with the memory card? You'd need a USB-C hub and memory card reader, I think.

    Was this useful? Answer 2

    0 of 0 people found this useful

Related Questions