can i connect a thunderbolt display to my 2010 mac pro?
- Asked by David D from Sarasota
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect a thunderbolt display to my 2010 mac pro?)
3 Answers from the Community
No. I've spent the past two days looking for a solution. I expected my ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card to drive video to my new Thunderbolt Display though the mini Display Port connector. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Very frustrated.
- Answered by Ben O from Marina Del Rey
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
My Thunderbolt display just arrived and I tried it with my mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro (non-thunderbolt port), and the MBPro doesn't recognise the thunderbolt display.
I purchased the Thunderbolt display for my new Macbook Air (with Thunderbolt port) and it works just fine.
- Answered by Neil H from Jerrabomberra
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No, you need this Display (Apple LED Cinema Display 27"). Though a Mac Pro does have two wired Ethernet ports and Firewire800, so there is little practical difference between the two displays (though it would be nice if it did work for users wishing to share the display between a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro/Air).
If this display is going to be used in a Thunderbolt setup it needs to be the final device in the chain (connecting the USB/magsafe might be problematic, a Mini DisplayPort extension would be helpful in such a setup). For all Macs other then the Mac Pro the Thunderbolt Display is a better option.
- Answered by Jeremy C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Will this cable work with my 2010 Apple Cinematic display?
- Asked by John V from Walnut Creek
- Mar 12, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable work with my 2010 Apple Cinematic display?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Is is thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini display port devices and cables?
- Asked by Hasan N from Iselin
- May 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is is thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini display port devices and cables?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter