Backing up multiple computers, does time machine need same total capacity as joint disk space? Or if not that much data is 2TB version ok?
We have a 2TB and a 1TB iMac plus a 500GB MacBook Pro that I'd like to set this up as a backup for. We don't have anywhere near that amount of data, but I know when I've had dedicated USB external hard drives for Time Machine it was supposed to have the same volume as the machine's hard drive. Trying to see if we can get away with the 2TB version for financial reasons...
1 Answer from the Community
There is no easy answer. The short answer is, yes, it will pair with these devices for backups. However, the time range and number of backups will be limited as you accumulate more data. You will be able to use it, however, it will become unpractical as each of you computers hard drives fills up. I wouldn't recommend sharing it between more than 2 computers with large drives like yours.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can AirPort Extreme back up a USB attached disk (storage) to a second USB attached disk (backup) using Time Machine?
- Asked by Emily B from San Diego
- Feb 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Extreme back up a USB attached disk (storage) to a second USB attached disk (backup) using Time Machine?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Does this cable support data transfer in Target Disk Mode between computers?
- Asked by Norton C from Pyrmont
- Nov 4, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this cable support data transfer in Target Disk Mode between computers?)
- Asked about: USB-C Charge Cable (2m)
Will I be able to use one copy on multiple machines?
- Asked by Tracy W
- Feb 1, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to use one copy on multiple machines?)
- Asked about: OS X Mountain Lion