Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem or does it work plugged into a router/Ethernet plug on the wall?
I'm a college student and there's campus Wi-Fi all over and in my building. I was considering Time Capsule to improve my Wi-Fi capability and to have a place to back up my MacBook Pro via Time Machine. There's no router or modem in my dorm room but there is an Ethernet port in the wall that I can plug an Ethernet cord into. Can I use Time Capsule by plugging it into the Ethernet plugin on the wall? Or does it not work like that. Also, even if that does work, because we're all on the same Wi-Fi network with different usernames and passwords to log us into the Wi-Fi, could someone else potentially have access to my Time Capsule and could they access the things on my Time Capsule or backup their own computer? Thanks!
- Asked by Michael K from Pacific Palisades
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem or does it work plugged into a router/Ethernet plug on the wall?)
1 Answer from the Community
You can use the time capsule by plugging it into the ethernet jack in the wall, thats the kind of set up I've got. This will create your own WIFI network which you can password protect, and you'll probably find this to be faster than campus WIFI.
With regards to accessing files stored on the Time Capsule, you can password protect the disk within the capsule itself, this means that for anyone to access your files, they would need both your WIFI password and your disk password.
Hope this helps you
- Answered by Aaron B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this charger work in india or do I need an converter?
- Asked by Hasel P from Orlando
- Oct 2, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this charger work in india or do I need an converter?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
Does it come with a uk wall plug
- Asked by Shaun H
- May 28, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it come with a uk wall plug)
- Asked about: 61W USB‑C Power Adapter
No answers yet