Can I put the Airport Time Capsule on a physical LAN (wired) in my house which has one other Wireless router on it (Netgear)?
My goal is to get an extended wireless network through a large house. i have CAT5 cabling through the house and can physically connect the two devices with one being the gateway DHCP router and connection to the cable modem. My other device is a newer Netgear WNDR 3400 which I'm fairly sure can be setup in what is called a "Bridge Mode" which I understand sets it up as a repeater. Thanks of your help.
I have Apple TV, many iDevices, an iMAC workstation and several laptops in the house. Would love to share common storage and extend the network.
1 Answer from the Community
My house is a decent size and my Time Capsule covers my whole house. You can chain this device off of another router through an ethernet cable and use it as a separate network but by doing so, it will cause more interference because of the signals of the two routers and the devices connected to it. If you're just planning on using it to extend the network and not a backup system, the Airport Express can extend the network range. The express, capsule, and extreme all have the same antennas and speeds, the differences are the features. The Extreme and Capsule are routers that need a solid connection to either another router or modem. The Express will wirelessly extend your network.
- Answered by Jesse H from Clarence Center
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use the Airport Express Base Station to replace my existing Netgear router and still maintain the same network?
- Asked by Anthony G from Edison
- Sep 24, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Airport Express Base Station to replace my existing Netgear router and still maintain the same network?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Can the Airport Extreme be used to extend my Wi-Fi signal, from my Netgear Extender?
- Asked by Nadine M from Parap
- Dec 3, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Extreme be used to extend my Wi-Fi signal, from my Netgear Extender?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme