I have Verizon Fios, will Airport Extreme can be use?
- Asked by Carlos M from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate (I have Verizon Fios, will Airport Extreme can be use?)
4 Answers from the Community
Yes it will, as long as you connect it to your Verizon provided Actiontec router.
You can use this AirPort Extreme without the Verizon router, as long as you disable the DHCP hold it has to your Optical Network Terminal (ONT). Make sure you have an Ethernet handoff from the ONT, and not coaxile. Also, if you intend on doing this, your Verizon cableTV set top boxes will no longer be able to receive on-demand, and the guide will no longer work.
- Answered by Ryan O from Elkridge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, but you will need to keep the router Verizon gave you to function as a modem. Keep the coax cable plugged into the Fios router, then run a cat5 over to the AE. I recommend this set-up, because I have Fios and just set up my apple router today, and it is a huge improvement in speed.
The Genius at the apple store recommend that I turn off the wireless on the fios router by logging in (url is 192.168.1.1). This prevents network interference, since the two devices are very close to each other.
- Answered by Alexander C from Reston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes, you need to change the settings on your verizon cable modem/ router to TURN OFF the wifi that is built in to it. Then you connect the airport extreme to your verizon cablemodem/router with an ethernet cable. You will need to call verizon and they can tell you how to go to the website that allows you to switch off the wifi in the verizon cable modem/router. This is what I did. The system works very well. The verizon wifi was very slow.
- Answered by Ron G from Glenmont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, its a piece of cake. Plug a network cable into one of the output jacks of the FIOS modem and the other end into the WAN of the AirPort Express (AE). The AE will configure itself. Using the Airport Utility on a Mac or iOS device and enter a password. I configured the AE, all Apple devices, Apple TV, and my smart TV in about 15 minutes. That's how easy its. It took me longer to configure a Windows PC to connect to the wireless printer. Depending on the FIOS router that you have, you may have to turn off the signal. They've had a couple of routers and I'm currently on the upgraded one. I left the FIOS wireless signal on and haven't had any issues.
- Answered by Roger K from Plano
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Can I use my AirPort Extreme to buff my verizon FIOS wifi?
- Asked by Bram H from Chevy Chase
- Sep 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Extreme to buff my verizon FIOS wifi?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
How do I connect the AirPort Express with my Verizon Fios Router?
- Asked by Perry C from Matawan
- Dec 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect the AirPort Express with my Verizon Fios Router?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Can this Extend the Network of my Verizon FIOS ActionTec Router?
- Asked by Yonah W from White Plains
- Sep 8, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this Extend the Network of my Verizon FIOS ActionTec Router?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express