Does this dock provide a lossless audio output via the 3.5mm headphone jack & does it bypass the DAC in the iPhone?
2 Answers from the Community
This is partly an answer and partly a question (in the "is this right" vein).
To get high-resolution audio (e.g. lossless) you need these things:
1) hi res audio source
2) ability to put it on your iPhone
3) ability for you iPhone to send the signal out to an amplifier
4) ability to convert it to analog to play on speakers
Let's assume you've solved 1 & 2
3a) can be solved by a high res music player like Onkyo HF, it claims it can handle 192k/24bit music and even higher
3b) I think if you connect an HDMI cable ($49) you theoretically are bypassing the DAC so you should also be putting out 192kHz sampling ... reality is that the Apple iPhone and iPads are limited to 48k (boo!)
4) I use my home AV receiver, Marantz 5000 and Martin Logan speakers ... even though not 96 or 192k, it sounds great!
Does this make sense? Do the other experts agree?
- Answered by Eric K from Marietta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The lightning connection protocol is digital-only. Any lightning peripheral cable that provides audio output does so with an external DAC. It would produce lossless audio with this external DAC contained in the dock.
- Answered by Alden S from Salt Lake City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
On devices with both Lightning and 3.5 mm audio, Will it be possible to use both audio outputs simultaneously?
- Asked by Jacob R from Carlsbad
- Sep 10, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (On devices with both Lightning and 3.5 mm audio, Will it be possible to use both audio outputs simultaneously?)
- Asked about: Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack …
I can buy only the cable adapter or cable jack
- Asked by Loudvick L
- Sep 23, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (I can buy only the cable adapter or cable jack)
- Asked about: Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphones - Bla…
No answers yet
Can the lightning dock be used with a AV adapter so that the iPhone 7 can... 1. output to HDMI, 2. output audio down a 3.5mm jack, and 3. be charged?
- Asked by Sd S
- Jan 21, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the lightning dock be used with a AV adapter so that the iPhone 7 can... 1. output to HDMI, 2. output audio down a 3.5mm jack, and 3. be charged?)
- Asked about: Lightning Digital AV Adapter