Is the second lightning port on the adapter fully functional?
I have have an Irig pro audio interface which uses lightning to connect to my iPhone.
I was wondering if the second lightning adapter port is fullly functional and not just for power?
My iteration is to plug in a usb keyboard into the USB port and use the other lightning port for the the irig audio interface.
2 Answers from the Community
I learned that the lightning port is only for power under the worst way !!!
I have an iphone 7 were the screen went black, so I hooked it through a lightning to HDMI to my TV and I could see the iphone unlock display but of course I could not enter the unlock code touching the glass so I plugged the lightning side of the lightning to USB 3 adapter to the lightning port of the HDMI port and a keyboard to the USB 3 port.
Lo and behold, the data from the keyboard going out on the lightning to USB adapter didn't reach the iphone because the lightning port of the HDMI adapter is only for power and the same goes to the USB 3 adapter.
Unfortunately the engineers who designed both adapters never though that limiting the lightning port use for providing only power was not a good idea !!!
If some one could design a smart lightning hub, that would be great !
- Answered by Roberto S from Aventura
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Lightning port on the adapter supplies power only. You can connect a USB hub to the adapter so that you can connect multiple devices, as long as there is power supplied through the adapter's Lightning port.
- Answered by Philip S from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I buy a second lightning adapter
- Asked by Karen F from Pender Island
- Jan 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I buy a second lightning adapter)
- Asked about: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
Does the lightning Charging port need to be plugged in? (Ie. does the lightning HDMI A/V adapter require external power to be functional)
- Asked by Johan R from Austin
- Feb 28, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the lightning Charging port need to be plugged in? (Ie. does the lightning HDMI A/V adapter require external power to be functional))
- Asked about: Lightning Digital AV Adapter