Can I connect Mac Pro 2013 (Thunderbolt 2) to a Thunderbolt 3 device, like the OWC Envoy Pro EX, using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, if you mean the OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3 or other Thunderbolt 3 device. There is also an OWC Envoy Pro EX that uses USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) which does not require an adapter (it is much slower than Thunderbolt 3's 40 Gbps).
Apple Support document HT207266 "About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" has more information in the last paragraph. For some reason, Apple removed the statement that says "Support for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter is limited to devices that require less than 10W of power".
The OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3 has a captive (non-detachable) Thunderbolt 3 cable. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter also has a captive Thunderbolt 3 cable. Therefore, you also need another Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports (such as a dock, raid, or PCIe expansion box) to connect both the adapter and the OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3. The specs for the Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3 doesn't state if it takes more than 10W of power, but that doesn't matter because it will be connected to a different Thunderbolt 3 device that will supply all the power.
Some older Thunderbolt 3 devices created before the first Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro are not compatible with macOS without a Thunderbolt enabler patch.
Thunderbolt 2 is slower than Thunderbolt 3, so the Thunderbolt 3 drive will not perform at full speed when connected to a Thunderbolt 2 Mac, but it should still be faster than 10 Gbps USB 3.1 gen 2 (which the Mac Pro doesn't have either but you can add it with a Thunderbolt 3 device or a Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis and USB 3.1 gen 2 PCIe card).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- Oct 31, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
I just bought the MacBook Pro that contains thunderbolt 3 ports only. Will this adapter allow me to connect my Mac Pro with my USB device?
- Asked by Jill S from Fredericksburg
- May 4, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (I just bought the MacBook Pro that contains thunderbolt 3 ports only. Will this adapter allow me to connect my Mac Pro with my USB device?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Can I use this Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect my new Mac to my older Mac (late 2013) which has a Thunderbolt port but is that port compatible.
- Asked by Catherine And Colin K from New York
- Mar 5, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect my new Mac to my older Mac (late 2013) which has a Thunderbolt port but is that port compatible.)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)