Can this connect a tunderbold3 device to a macbook pro 2015?
I have a 8 in 1 usb hub that has thunderbolt 3 and I haven't noticed when i bought it that it has thunderbolt 3, so I would need and adapter to connect that to a macbook pro 2015? Would this work? I am asking because from photos doesn't seem so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
- Asked by Vrinceanu V
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this connect a tunderbold3 device to a macbook pro 2015?)
1 Answer from the Community
The MacBook Pro 2015 has Thunderbolt 2. I was able to use this adapter to connect a Thunderbolt 3 hard drive to a MacBook Pro 2015 and it worked.
The document HT207266 "Connect devices and displays with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" on Apple's support website lists compatibility information.
It will not work if your device is one of these:
1) A Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) bus-powered device. Your device needs to have it's own power cord.
2) A USB-C device that doesn't have Thunderbolt. Note that a USB-C connector does not mean it's Thunderbolt 3.
Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector and supports USB 3.1 gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3 protocols, as well as DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4.
The MacBook with USB-C connector (not MacBookPro 2016) does not have Thunderbolt, but it does support USB 3.1 gen 1, DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4.
You did not state which USB hub you have. I think your USB hub might not have Thunderbolt at all. A USB hub wouldn't include Thunderbolt unless it also has ports that are not USB. Actually, USB-C docks can have non-USB ports too.
If you're hub does not have Thunderbolt, then the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter will not help, unless you also have a Thunderbolt 3 dock which has a USB-C port that you can connect your USB hub to.
I am unaware of any Thunderbolt 2 to USB (not Thunderbolt 3) adapters except for Thunderbolt 2 docks. Thunderbolt 2 docks usually include USB 3.0 ports that are USB-A, so in that case you would need a USB-C male to USB-A male cable for your hub (only if the cable that connects your hub to the computer can be replaced, otherwise you would need a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter but I don't think any of those comply with the USB Type-C specification so I would stay away from them).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this be connected to my 2015 MacBook Pro to control Quicktime?
- Asked by Luke W from Calgary
- Mar 18, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be connected to my 2015 MacBook Pro to control Quicktime?)
- Asked about: Apple Remote
Does it harm my macbook pro retina 13'' (2015) battery to keep it connected to the wall socket even after it is fully charged?
- Asked by Turzo B
- Nov 10, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it harm my macbook pro retina 13'' (2015) battery to keep it connected to the wall socket even after it is fully charged?)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…
can this me used with a macbook pro 13 in retina early 2015?
- Asked by Winston H
- Dec 22, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can this me used with a macbook pro 13 in retina early 2015?)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad 2