Does this adapter support bidirectional data transfer, want to add a sudo usb 3.0 port to my mid 2011 mac mini
OK basically I want to add a usb 3.0 port to my old but still kicking mid 2011 mac mini. I already upped the ram to 16gb ( apple you liar with the 8gb max ) and im about to upgrade my slow stock HDD to a SSD. Now my dilemma is as follows 1) I am well aware of the kanex thunderbolt to usb 3.0 adapter but not willing to shell out $79.99 yet unless this is my only option unless someone with a similar mid 2011 mac mini has evidence to prove it works 2) Basically since the description on the apple site states "As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port and macOS Sierra." So if this adapter is truly bidirectional as is stated ---- if i buy this + a male thunderbolt to male thunderbolt cable which id connect to my mac and the other end to the female thunderbolt port on this adapter would i then be able to either a) connect the male usb-c to a gender changer adapter female usb-c to female usb 3.0 type A connection thus allowing me to connect my usb 3.0 hub i have already giving me at least noticeably faster data transfer speeds vs the slow usb 2.0 ports b) buy a usb 3.1 micro B to a usb - c female cable to use my external HDD i know i should eventually upgrade to a new mac but my mid 2011 mac mini is still working strong
- Asked by Matthew V from Rockville Centre
- Flag as inappropriate Does this adapter support bidirectional data transfer, want to add a sudo usb 3.0 port to my mid 2011 mac mini
1 Answer from the Community
This won't work since the apple adapter doesn't pass power to the SSD enclosure. I bought a thunderbolt 2 SSD to plug into the iMac thunder2 port and it really speeds the imac up. I also got a usb 3 enclosure with ssd and it won't work (no power). If you bought a self powered enclosure it might work, but I haven't found one that is inexpensive.
- Answered by Bert M from Sedona
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does the newest lightning to SD card adapter support USB3.0 transfer speed on the iPhone X??
- Asked by Andrew S from West Hollywood
- 28 Oct 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Does the newest lightning to SD card adapter support USB3.0 transfer speed on the iPhone X??
Is this USB-C to USB 3.0 or USB-C to USB 2.0?
- Asked by Sam D
- 4 Nov 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Is this USB-C to USB 3.0 or USB-C to USB 2.0?
Does this cable support USB 3.0
- Asked by James W
- 28 Oct 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Does this cable support USB 3.0
No answers yet