Is there the opposite of this adapter? (So that I can turn a thunderbolt 2 port into thunderbolt 3)
1 Answer from the Community
According to the document HT207266 "Connect devices and displays with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter":
This adapter allow Thunderbolt 3 computers to use Thunderbolt 2 devices.
It also allows Thunderbolt 2 computers to use Thunderbolt 3 devices.
You can connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to Thunderbolt 2 devices, or Thunderbolt 2 devices to Thunderbolt 3 devices. Usually you would put the faster Thunderbolt 3 device closer to the computer but that only matters if you have a Thunderbolt 3 computer and the Thunderbolt 3 device can use more than 20 Gbps. Sometimes a Thunderbolt device doesn't have two Thunderbolt ports and therefore must be placed at the end of the chain whether it's Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 2.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
How is possible to connect a new Thunderbolt 3 port to an old Firewire 400 port?
- Asked by Arnaldo P from Cagliari
- May 20, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (How is possible to connect a new Thunderbolt 3 port to an old Firewire 400 port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…
Why isn't there a Thunderbolt port on the new Time Capsule?
- Asked by Jack K from Las Vegas
- Jun 12, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Why isn't there a Thunderbolt port on the new Time Capsule?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
I just bought the MacBook Pro that contains thunderbolt 3 ports only. Will this adapter allow me to connect my Mac Pro with my USB device?
- Asked by Jill S from Fredericksburg
- May 4, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (I just bought the MacBook Pro that contains thunderbolt 3 ports only. Will this adapter allow me to connect my Mac Pro with my USB device?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter