What’s the difference between Thunderbolt 3 & USB-C port? Do they look exactly the same, exchangeable?
1 Answer from the Community
They look exactly the same. Thunderbolt 3 has all the features of USB-C and more.
Thunderbolt 3 allows PCIe signals. The 2016 15" MacBook Pro has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, which is like having four PCIe 3.0 x4 slots. In comparison, the 2012 Mac Pro had four PCIe 2.0 slots: x16, x16, x4, x4.
Thunderbolt 3 also allows Thunderbolt displays, which is different than DisplayPort displays.
The Thunderbolt 3 ports also allow USB (10 Gbps), DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4 signals, like the USB-C ports do.
Some USB-C ports that are not Thunderbolt 3 might have slower USB (5 Gbps) and/or no DisplayPort/HDMI.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?
- Asked by Jonathan S from Astoria
- Oct 30, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…
Is this the new adapter for USB 3 speed?. Looks exactly as the old one
- Asked by Lisandro L from Hallandale
- Dec 9, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the new adapter for USB 3 speed?. Looks exactly as the old one)
- Asked about: Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader
Does the cable work with USB 3.0 ports, and if not, how can I get it to sync to my laptop?
- Asked by Roxy H from Nashville
- Dec 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the cable work with USB 3.0 ports, and if not, how can I get it to sync to my laptop?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)