Will this adapter allow me to connect an LG 27UK850 monitor (with USB-C) to my MacBook Pro (13", Early 2015) using a Thunderbolt 2 cable?
External Display to MacBook Pro Early 2015
2 Answers from the Community
No (except read below). The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is only for Thunderbolt devices.
The LG 27UK850 is not a Thunderbolt display. It has 3 inputs: HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode (not Thunderbolt).
The USB-C port of the LG 27UK850 cannot be used to power the MacBook Pro 2015. It can be used to power the MacBook or a MacBook Pro 2016 or later (but only provides 60W where the MacBook Pro might consume more during heavy usage).
For video output to the display, the simplest connection to your MacBook Pro 2015 to the LG 27UK850 can be done with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (not included). To use the USB downstream ports of the display (for keyboard or mouse or thumb drive or whatever you like), you need to connect a USB-C to USB-A cable (not included). The downstream ports will work as USB 3.0 (5Gbps) in this configuration.
There is a way to get video over USB-C to the LG 27UK850 from the MacBook Pro 2015. Connect a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports (such as a Thunderbolt 3 dock or RAID drive) to the MacBook Pro 2015 using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Thunderbolt 3 device can be used to connect a USB-C cable to the LG 27UK850 for video and USB data.
Note that if you're using USB-C for video, then the downstream USB ports of the LG 27UK850 can only work as USB 2.0 (480 Mbps). This is because a 4K 60Hz display requires all four super-speed lines of the USB-C cable for the DisplayPort signal.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
In theory it should work. I don't have either product so I can't confirm for sure that there will be 100% compatibility. If its not 100% computable you might run into some slow frame rates or lower resolution output not making full use of the display. My suggestion would be to get the LG 27UK650-W 27" which is exactly the same just without thunderbolt 3 connectivity and use a Mini DisplayPort to full DisplayPort cable like this one (ALOGIC 2m Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable with 4K Support). Overall the solution will be cheaper that way and you won't run into any potential compatibility issues.
- Answered by Aaron B from North Haven
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does this USB-C adapter work in a Thunderbolt 2 port of an early 2015 Mac Book Pro Retina (I have managed to damage my existing USB ports)
- Asked by Martin R from Colchester
- Feb 21, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this USB-C adapter work in a Thunderbolt 2 port of an early 2015 Mac Book Pro Retina (I have managed to damage my existing USB ports))
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Can i use the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter for my macbook air 2015 as a monitor and connect it with my PS4 Console.
- Asked by Michael O from Homestead
- Jul 13, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter for my macbook air 2015 as a monitor and connect it with my PS4 Console.)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
how do I set up for standard desktop plus extended desktop using a 27" Thunderbolt/15" macbook pro retina and a second HDMI monitor. They mirror now
- Asked by Robert B from Ellensburg
- Feb 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how do I set up for standard desktop plus extended desktop using a 27" Thunderbolt/15" macbook pro retina and a second HDMI monitor. They mirror now)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…