Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
723 Questions from the Community
how do i set up as bridge to printer
need to use airport express bridge mode to printer (will use ethernet cable to connect printer to airport express) in existing airport extreme network.
Where are instructions to set this up?
- Asked by Paul S from Buffalo
- Dec 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up as bridge to printer)
print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?
Can I connect 2 different printers, one into USB and the other through Ethernet cable and be able to print to both? AND can I use this to extend my current wireless network so the printers can connect wirelessly instead of long cables?
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- Aug 2, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
first of all you need to consider 2 things, one if you are using a pc or a mac. if you are using a pc you have to download 2 programs form the apple web site: the first one called: bonjour for windows and the other one called: airport utility for windows, just make sure you're using the latest versions.
airport utility is used to config the settings in your airport express, the latter program is going to be used to discover and config the printer in your windows system.
on the other hand macs are a totally different world, you don't have to install any of those programs because both applications are already in the OS. there are plenty of tutorials on the web that can give you a very clear and detailed idea on how you can install a printer and set your airport express in a windows system.
thirdly, you have to install the second printer, so as to do this you need to check if your printer has got an internal Lan card or it doesn't have any. if your printer does have one, just connect the printer into the lan port of your airport express, read the instructions that comes with the printer or visit the manufacture's web site for further details on this topic.
but if your printer does not have any internal lan card, don't worry about that just plug in the printer to the USB port in your airport extreme then use the bonjour utility to discover the device and then installed it in your windows pc.
To install a printer on a mac just go to system preferences, then make click on the icon named print and scan, there are plenty of info on the web about this. I hope this can give you an idea.
- Answered by Charles I from Lake Hopatcong
- Aug 5, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (print from USB and LAN using 2 different printers?)
If I plug in my speakers (amp to old school speaker) to the jack can I airplay audio to Airport from Mac and iPhone and have it play through them?
Basically I have a small set up in my room of an old sony amp and goodmans speakers, the amp has rca connections on the back so I do a simple 3/4" jack to rca and plug it into my iPhone or Mac and it works fine. What I want to be able to do is to play audio, via airplay i'm assuming, to the AirPort Express, have it output through the jack socket on the rear and play though my setup as it would as usual.
Hope this makes sense.
Absolutely! I do this to an amp and speakers on my back porch and outside. The amp is a '70s Dynaco SCA-80Q which supports four speakers. Two are in the enclosed porch, the other two are mounted outside in the back yard. It works wonderfully!
During the cold months I move the AirPort Express (an older version) inside to the living room and connect it to my AV receiver. For the audio connection between the Express and the receiver I use a min-to-optical (Toslink) cable.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- Apr 25, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I plug in my speakers (amp to old school speaker) to the jack can I airplay audio to Airport from Mac and iPhone and have it play through them?)
Yes. An airport express can be used independently for Airplay. Set it up to create its own wireless network. The limitation is that the device managing airplay must then be connected to that same network.
- Answered by Duke S from Hingham
- Jun 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (To use airplay)
No Internet network in our RV?
Can we set up a network in our RV, with a airport express and AppleTV? We will not have internet access at the campground, but want to use Airplay from our iOS devices. Is this possible without an Internet connection?
- Asked by Jason C from Hebron
- Mar 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (No Internet network in our RV?)
It can connect through either.
- Answered by Timothy W from Elk River
- Sep 1, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do you need airport express to use Apple TV or can you just use a wifi connection?)
Is there a mount for the AirPort Express to put it on the wall? I'm using these to extend wifi and need a way to mount these to the wall.
Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?
i.e By connecting the 3g dongle to the usb port we can utilize the internet connection on the network.
- Asked by Sushil J from New York
- Dec 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does USB port of AirPort Express support 3G UMTS modem for internet sharing...?)
Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?
- Asked by Allison W from Brackettville
- Nov 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express Base Station work with AT&T DSL?)
Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones
- Asked by Eileen I from Snohomish
- Nov 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport express compatible with Motorola phones)
Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?
I am looking to set up airplay to my MM1 speakers using the USB connection to the airport express, is this feasible?
- Asked by Adrian B
- Nov 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?)
I have the MM's connected to an airport express via the aux connection, it works perfectly. Must admit I have not tried the USB connection, not sure it will work. Then use airplay from your device to the MM's. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Dipak P
- Dec 29, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers run off airport express?)
Does the airport express work as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy so that I can wake my computer when using Back to My Mac?
- Asked by Jacqueline D from Los Angeles
- Dec 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the airport express work as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy so that I can wake my computer when using Back to My Mac?)
Is Airport Express an extension of my home WiFi? Douse it increase the signal strength of my home WiFi of the room that I put Airport Express in?
- Asked by Chris J from Vacaville
- Feb 26, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Airport Express an extension of my home WiFi? Douse it increase the signal strength of my home WiFi of the room that I put Airport Express in?)
You can use an Airport Express to extend your existing home WiFi to a new area, assuming that you can get a decent signal to the Airport Express to begin with (since it needs to have a signal to pass through or relay). For example, let's say you have a house with three rooms where room 1 is where your home WiFi router is, room 3 is where you'd like to get a signal to, and room 2 is in between. Placing your Airport Express in room 3 may give you a stronger WiFi signal there, but it may have a weak signal from your home WiFi and therefore have slower speeds. Instead, by placing the router in room 2, (assuming you get a good signal there) you may be able to get a better signal in all three rooms. It has been my experience that the Airport Express has excellent antennas and has better wireless performance than your typical leased router from an ISP. Try different placements to see what gives you the best results.
- Answered by Garth H from Sacramento
- Mar 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is Airport Express an extension of my home WiFi? Douse it increase the signal strength of my home WiFi of the room that I put Airport Express in?)
will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?
- Asked by Alexis F from Philadelphia
- Jun 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?)