Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
111 Questions from the Community
Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.
I am getting a new IMac 27" with fusion drive. I would like to transfer my files from my Late 2009 27" iMac. Can I use the firewire to thunderbolt adapter for this purpose?
- Asked by Jose O from Coral Gables
- Dec 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.)
Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a
What are the differences/similarities between these 2 adapters?
I am trying to connect to a digital audio mixer, and it's a little fussy.
- Asked by Victor G from St. Adolphe
- Dec 4, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a)
Evidently the MD464zm/a was an early version, it's not available any more.
- Answered by David L from Redlands
- Aug 11, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why are there 2 firewire adapters? MD464zm/a and MD464ll/a)
Is there a Thunderbolt splitter? How can I connect an external monitor and use the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter with only one port on MBA?
- Asked by David M from Raleigh
- Aug 10, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a Thunderbolt splitter? How can I connect an external monitor and use the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter with only one port on MBA?)
Will this work with my (very old gen3) ipod?
I have had my ipod since 2003 and it has been working fine for me ever since. I understand that to transfer my songs from my ipod to a mac, I will need to download a specific type of software for that to work. I do not want to lose the music that is currently on there (approx. 3000), but do want to transfer to my new macbook pro. Will the Thunderbolt read my ipod?
- Asked by Tiepa T from Te Atatu Peninsula
- Sep 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with my (very old gen3) ipod?)
The 3rd Generation iPod was the first model to feature a dock connector, and had the play/pause, menu, forward, and back buttons in a line above the touch wheel.
You can Identify your iPod Model at Apple Support KB article HT1353
If this is the case, any USB or Firewire 400 to Dock Connector cable should be OK to use, just use a USB one, and plug it directly into your MacBook.
If you have a first or 2nd generation iPod (With a physical wheel, or a touch wheel with buttons arranged around the wheel (but not on the wheel) and with a FireWire port on the top of the unit (no dock connector) you will additionally need a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 cable. You can plug the FW400 end into the iPod, and the FireWire 800 end will fit into this accessory. You can then use a specialist piece of software to extract the music from your iPod.
- Answered by Silas P from Elwood
- Sep 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with my (very old gen3) ipod?)
Will this let a FW800 HD work under Windows 7 / BootCamp on a MBP Retina?
Has anyone tried to connect one (or more) external hard-drives with FW800 ports through this adapter to a MacBook Pro (Retina) running Windows 7 under BootCamp?
I have quite a load of specific Windows software that does not exist under Mac OS X, and more than a wheelbarrow of files stored on LaCie 1 or 2 TB Quadra hard-drives with FW800 ports.
I'm considering to update my current MBP15 to a new MBP15(Retina) and I need to be sure that it does what I need before I order it: money-back-guarantee isn't an option as my employer sources most of our hardware through a lease contractor.
- Asked by Daniele T from Ferrara
- Aug 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this let a FW800 HD work under Windows 7 / BootCamp on a MBP Retina?)
Two screens on macbookair using mavericks
Can Mavericks support two external monitors on macbook air?
Is there a thunderbolt splitter that I can use to connect two external monitors to macbook air?
I know I can use Apple TV but not looking for that solution
- Asked by Yitzhak K from Santa Clara
- Oct 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Two screens on macbookair using mavericks)
Can i use this cable with migration assistant?
- Asked by Jonathan C from Mount Pleasant
- Nov 7, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this cable with migration assistant?)
Is Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter compatible with Windows 7 professional ?
I would like to buy the new Imac 2014 and since that no longer has the firewire port I would use this adapter Thunderbolt to FireWire to connect my lab equipment, but I'll use the Bootcamp partition probably will mount windows 7 professional.
the adapter will work correctly in windows 7?
let me know
Thanks in advance to all
- Asked by Marco G from Lecco
- Jul 11, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter compatible with Windows 7 professional ?)
mac book pro retina and sound cards
I bought the new macbook pro retina and I NEED to plug in my sound card which is the profire 2626 with a fire wire 400 output.
Can anybody help me to find the best solution?
- Asked by Simone H from Venezuela
- Nov 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (mac book pro retina and sound cards)