Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
303 Questions from the Community
Could a Lightning Digital AV Adapter facilitate iPhone video production monitoring?
I make talking head videos on my own on an iPhone 6S Plus. For audio I use an external microphone connected via the Lightning port. For video I use the higher quality back facing iPhone camera. During video recording I want to monitor the video to keep myself in frame. Could this work?
1. Connect the external microphone to the female Lightning Digital AV Adapter Lightning port.
2. Connect a computer monitor into the female Lightnight Digital AV Adapter HDMI port.
3. Connect the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to the iPhone.
With this set-up would the app used to record video on the iPhone appear on the monitor?
- Asked by Noric D from Sydney
- Jan 19, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Could a Lightning Digital AV Adapter facilitate iPhone video production monitoring?)
Will this fit with a iPhone 5 Lifeproof case?
- Asked by Mark D from Andover
- Nov 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this fit with a iPhone 5 Lifeproof case?)
The plug is the same size as the stock charging plug. so if the stock plug works, this will fit.
- Answered by Robert R from Menifee
- Dec 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this fit with a iPhone 5 Lifeproof case?)
Just plug it in. In my case, it didn't matter the order sequence of the connected devices. But just to be sure, have the TV or monitor on and ready, connected first to the adapter and to the appropriate HDMI input selected. Then to the iOS device on and unlocked on the home screen to the Lightning adapter. The charger part of it is not required (well, at least in my case) but it does help charge your iOS device while you can extend or disable the auto-shutoff screen setting on it. This is helpful because when the screen on your iOS device shuts off, it also shuts off the connection to the TV or monitor and this can get annoying.
- Answered by Jonathan R from Madison
- Jun 1, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I mitrror my iPad to tv through the av adapter)
Piggyback Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning / Ethernet adapter
I'd like to hardwire an iPad to my network and a monitor for Airplay, as RF interference in the room degrades all wireless connections ;-( Is it possible to piggyback connectors, by plugging the Lightning Digital AV Adapter in the iPad then plugging a lightning to Ethernet adapter into the AV adapter? Thanks to anyone who's tried it and can share their success or not.
- Asked by Dave N from Ardsley On Hudson
- May 30, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Piggyback Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning / Ethernet adapter)
What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?
- Asked by Deborah A from Belmont
- Oct 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?)
It's a passthrough for a lightning cable so you can charge your phone while also using this adapter.
- Answered by Luis A M from Holmdel
- Oct 28, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the smaller port to the right of the HDMI port?)
Does a Lightning to Usb / lightning adapter for interface / charging exist ?
I want to charge my Ipad pro , while interfacing to a Soundcraft expression digital mixer that has a usb recording interface for
live recording with a DAW ( Digital Workstation). What I need to know is : Do you know if there is an adapter with this combination .
( Lightning to lightning through and 1 USB A interface for the USB At o B cable ?
- Asked by Frits Bo C
- Jan 17, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does a Lightning to Usb / lightning adapter for interface / charging exist ?)
will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad
I have the original I pad and would like to hook up to my TV. will the AV adapter work ? and will it play audio as well as video
- Asked by Patricia D from Philadelphia
- Dec 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
The Lightning AV adapter will only work with the iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5C/5S and the latest generation iPod devices that have the Lightning connector.
The first, second and third generation iPad have the older 30 pin connector so you need to use the 30 pin version on this store.
- Answered by John C
- Dec 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
Can the Lightning Digital AV adapter be used to stream Amazon Instant Video App AV content from my iPhone 5 to a HDTV?
- Asked by Mihir P from Perth Amboy
- Mar 6, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Lightning Digital AV adapter be used to stream Amazon Instant Video App AV content from my iPhone 5 to a HDTV?)
No Amazon Instant Video does not work, you can only hear audio and a message appears on the screen saying that A/V is not available at this time through this App. Netflix works only in SD, maybe 360P??
- Answered by Lee A from Los Alamos
- Mar 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Lightning Digital AV adapter be used to stream Amazon Instant Video App AV content from my iPhone 5 to a HDTV?)
The iTunes movie rentals would display at the max resolution of the adapter, which, unfortunately, is 1600 x 900. This is due to the fact that the cable has inside it a computer chip, which decodes the information from the iPad, and then up scales it to 1080p, so the image is first compressed, and then expanded again, decreasing the image quality. However, due to the fact that the cord has a chip inside it, it may be possible to update the chip, and increase the resolution in the future. Until then, though, the true resolution of the video is up scaled 1600 x 900, whether you have the HD version or not.
- Answered by Phil & Margaret S from Cairns
- Apr 21, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What resolution do iTunes movie rentals display in with this adapter if I got the HD version? Full 1080p?)
No. All input must be done on the originating device be it your iPhone or iPad. All this does is transfer audio and sound.
- Answered by Paul S from Seffner
- Mar 9, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If the HDMI is hocked to a larger touchscreen, will touch functionality work on the mirrored screen?)
when i watch any video my i pad to tv same time charge my i pad
- Asked by Ravinson A
- Feb 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (when i watch any video my i pad to tv same time charge my i pad)
Extra uses for the Lightning Digital AV Adapter?
Hello, excuse me I have a question:
Am I able to use this adapter to use the iPad Air as the main display of a Mac mini?.
Thanks for your time!.
- Asked by Cedric Gabriel C from Los Angeles
- Feb 16, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Extra uses for the Lightning Digital AV Adapter?)
No. It is to output video from your iPhone or iPad, not to put video in.
- Answered by Benjamin Z from Centerville
- Feb 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extra uses for the Lightning Digital AV Adapter?)
If by "iPad 4", you mean either "iPad with Retina display" or "iPad mini 4", then YES. See the Compatibility list for this product for details on compatible iPads as of this date:
iPad with Retina display
iPad mini 2
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
- Answered by Daniel R from Madison
- Apr 14, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does lighting 8 pin cable digital AV adapter work on ipad4)