Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
338 Questions from the Community
will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad
I have the original I pad and would like to hook up to my TV. will the AV adapter work ? and will it play audio as well as video
- Asked by Patricia D from Philadelphia
- Dec 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
The Lightning AV adapter will only work with the iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5C/5S and the latest generation iPod devices that have the Lightning connector.
The first, second and third generation iPad have the older 30 pin connector so you need to use the 30 pin version on this store.
- Answered by John C
- Dec 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the AV adapter work on the first generation i pad)
does the lightning adapter work with a sony bravia TV and an iphone 6
- Asked by Brett L from Sault Ste Marie
- Jan 8, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (does the lightning adapter work with a sony bravia TV and an iphone 6)
Can u watch sky go using this adapter
- Asked by Lorenzo M from Tempe
- Nov 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can u watch sky go using this adapter)
- Answered by Umair K
- Jun 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can u watch sky go using this adapter)
Hulu and the iphone 5
I have a iphone 4 and watched Hulu thur my lcd tv and I have just got a iphone 5 and will have to replace my cables, the salepersom at radio shack told me I needed a Lighting to 30 pin adapter and to use my old 30 pin HDMI cables for my iphone 4. I just pluged it in today and all I get is sound no video on the my tv only but I do get video on the iphone 5 screen , I was told I really needed a Lightning Digital AV Adapter but was thinking is hulu still doing iphone to tv video output on the iphone 5?
- Asked by Jimmy V from Earlington
- Dec 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Hulu and the iphone 5)
what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tvAnswer
I assume you are referring to the 30-PIN Digital AV Adapter vs Lightning Digital AV adapter. The first one uses the old 30-PIN connector while the latter uses the new lightning connector. Check whether your device uses lightning or 30-PIN connector.
- Answered by Philgin E from Burbank
- Mar 22, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what's the "difference's?.. between a digital AV adapter & a digital AV lightening adapter. I have an iPad Air and want to watch programs etc. via tv)
Most definitely yes, this works with sound. It also works with the audible.com app just fine. Be aware, however, that Facetime will not rout through the adapter but stays on the phone. Also, be aware that telephone calls made through the phone app will say on the phone itself and not rout through the connecter. For blind Voice OVer users, Voice Over will speak on the phone itself and not be routed through the adapter: rather a nice plus.
- Answered by Raymond F from Houma
- Sep 18, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this product work with sound as well as video?)
Yes, Everything that was on my phone was displayed on the TV.
I got this adapter and it works great.
The pixilation (picture quality) on the TV degrades the close you are to the screen, but then again I'm not going to sit 2 feet from the screen to watch the TV.
When I tiled my phone horizontally, the picture on the screen followed and vice versa.
Everything thing I normally use my IPhone for (text, web, movies) I was able to watch on the TV.
It was awesome.
- Answered by May G from San Diego
- Jul 30, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you display everything on your device onto the TV?)
Will the Lightning Digital AV Adapter mirror skype from my iPhone 5 onto my HD telly? I want to use my phone as the webcam to view skype on my telly.
No answers yet
sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.
- Asked by Michael J. W from Charleston
- Jul 4, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.)
when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?
I'm designing a car stereo system that is going to use an iPad as the head unit (deck). I need to get a digital audio signal (toslink) out of the iPad so I can connect it to a DSP with toslink in. From there, it will be like any other car stereo; Analog audio out of the DSP (just as it would come out of a traditional car stereo head unit) and into amps, then speakers/subs. By going this route, I can use the vastly superior DA converter in the DSP as opposed to the iPad's onboard DA converter.
Unfortunately Apple does not provide us with a lightning to toslink adapter; surprise, surprise! However If I were to get a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, and a device like this (Fosmon HDMI Audio Extractor Converter Box [HDMI to HDMI+Audio] - Supports Toslink (SPDIF), RCA L/R Audio) Then conceivably I could extract the Digital audio that way. However, I will only need the audio from the HDMI signal, regardless if there is any video data or not (listening to an MP3 as opposed to watching an MKV) So for this plan to work, the iPad's own screen would need to remain active (on, with video displayed) even when the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter is plugged into the iPad. Thanks.
Also, will using the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter just transfer the sound from music/video's being watched, or would it transmit all system sounds, like for instance the key stroke sounds from typing, alert sounds from notifications, etc?
- Asked by Matthew G from Sacramento
- Jun 21, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
I have been using the lightning to HDMI adapter for my iPAD Mini to do code demonstrations and other various presentations for several months now. When using the iPAD to navigate between apps and browse the web, the display is mirrored on both the iPAD and display device (Projector, TV, etc.). The google slides app has a presentation mode that will display the slides in full screen on the connected device but show slide previews and presenter notes on the iPAD itself. As far as I know, the audio is transmitted and taken away from the iPAD just as if you had plugged in a set of head phones or connected to a Bluetooth speaker system.
- Answered by Korey E from Hurst
- Sep 30, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?
I'm looking to scale down my 15" MBP Retina to an iPad Air2. I'm traveling more and more for work, so space/weight remaining at a premium, particularly when crossing the Atlantic. My major concern is whether I'll have the ability to connect to a larger screen via Airplay or via the lightning/HDMI adapter to a larger screen for writing with Pages, Keynote, and more. I don't see an issue for presenting per se, but it would be wonderful if I could find a way to plug into a nice 22"+ monitor in a hotel room or in my home office. Is this possible? Am I condemned to just slightly reducing my travel tech with either a 13" MBP or MBA?
- Asked by Charles G from Boca Raton
- Oct 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?)
No macs have thunderbolt ports this is for the lightning port that the new iPad's iPhone and iPod have and its output not input. Hope this helps
- Answered by Ace F from Coffs Harbour
- Oct 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this mean that i can hook my xbox360 hdmi to the adaptor and play on my Imac through lighting port now?)
can you watch hulu or tubeplus ,netflix or any other streaming video on a ipad retina display?
I want to be able to download movies from various sites usibng different formats for example avi movies and i want to watch my tv shows on the website tubeplus on a ipad retina display and when at home on my tv.
- Asked by Martin W from Larkspur
- Dec 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can you watch hulu or tubeplus ,netflix or any other streaming video on a ipad retina display?)
Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?
- Asked by Gustavo S from Brownsville
- Nov 13, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?)
Yes is going to work with appradio 2 but you need to get the pioneer CD-IH202 cable kit too, which cost another 50$ and a firmware update for the appradio, this will be available Spring 2013.
- Answered by Allan M from Ciudad Quesada
- Jan 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work on the pioneer appradio 2?)
would this cable work for when I want to use ZWIFT and show it on my TV
- Asked by John Stephen M
- Jan 26, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (would this cable work for when I want to use ZWIFT and show it on my TV)