Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
577 Questions from the Community
Does this have a DLNA Server or something of that nature so I can play media files on other devices such as a xbox ps3?
- Asked by Dominic T from Valencia
- Jun 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this have a DLNA Server or something of that nature so I can play media files on other devices such as a xbox ps3?)
Can you use the AirPort Time Capsule whilst on a commercial flight.
That is can you watch favourite videos, view photos etc using USB cable to macbook rather than WiFi?
- Asked by Matthew B from Hurstbridge
- Sep 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use the AirPort Time Capsule whilst on a commercial flight.)
One feature of the Time Capsule is to backup data using Time Machine, will it work as media center? - to stream movies/music to your AppleTV, or iPad
- Asked by Jose S from Las Cruces
- Jun 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (One feature of the Time Capsule is to backup data using Time Machine, will it work as media center? - to stream movies/music to your AppleTV, or iPad)
If you set up iTunes to look at the Time Capsule hard drive as a storage location, you can use the airplay feature on 2011 and new macs to accomplish this functionality from a Mac by using the airplay feature. So no, you cannot stream from you apple tv or iOS device, but you can use it as a media center that is connected to your Mac and intranet.
- Answered by Rod S from Grand Rapids
- Jun 12, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (One feature of the Time Capsule is to backup data using Time Machine, will it work as media center? - to stream movies/music to your AppleTV, or iPad)
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?
Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?
I am looking for an uninterruptible power supply to keep my network up during power outages. One of the units will not work with Active PFC's - which the author notes is the type of power supply in newer computers.
Does anyone know what type of power supply unit the Time Capsule has (I have the 2 Tb unit - it is about 1 year old). model a1470
- Asked by Phil S from Worthington
- Jan 24, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?)
Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Ed R from Wilmington
- Aug 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?)
When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?
We have 15 iMacs here with multiple accounts on every mac, which with a rough calculation adds up to more than 50, does this product have the capability to do this? Also these iMacs are 2010 models, they are all for video editing as well so large files etc need a solution to back these 15 macs up.
- Asked by Domonic W
- Feb 6, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?)
50 Wired and Wireless devices combined connected simultaneously. So if you somehow had 45 devices and 5 of your friends visited and used your WiFi; then they left and 5 more friends came over and used your WiFi you would be okay. Number of accounts on each mac is a different measurement not related to this. 50 simultaneous users is industry standard for a residential/small business router. You may actually quickly run low on space even with 3TB - which is not to say this isn't a great solution. Just that you may need to attach external hard drives to it for more storage. Something to keep in mind if sleekness is a priority. To me it's a bargain over a Drobo or NAS for Time Capsule backups. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Dave O from Tallmadge
- May 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?)
What is the Temperature specs?
- Asked by Richard G from Gilbert
- Feb 12, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the Temperature specs?)
Will AirPort Time Capsule in the US work in the UK. If it works in the UK what do i need for it to work. Can i purchase in US and have deliver UK.Answer
Check the bottom of the device to see if its voltage input states 110-240V. If so, then simply change the plug to a UK cable one you arrive and all is good. Channel allocation for the wireless side over here does not really matter if your Time Capsule is still set to automatic.
Delivery address from the Apple Store US has to be to a domestic US address as far as I know.
- Answered by Matthew P from Shrewsbury
- Dec 9, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will AirPort Time Capsule in the US work in the UK. If it works in the UK what do i need for it to work. Can i purchase in US and have deliver UK.)
You could but unless you need some feature in the newer Time Capsule then that's probably not the most economical solution. You can add an external hard drive to your 1TB Time Capsule via the USB port.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- Jan 17, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I own a 1TB time capsule and need more capacity. Do I buy the airport time capsule?)
Yes. I have my Airport Time Capsule (ATC) connected to my Time Warner provided modem via ethernet cable. Follow instructions that came with ATC. Works great. Allowed me to create and additional WI-FI network which I use exclusively for me and my ATC
- Answered by Angel G from Overland Park
- Aug 5, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can the airport time capsule work simultaneously with a router from your local cable provider)
Windows 7 laptop migration to MacBook Pro via AirPort Time Capsule
I would like to migrate my data files from a Windows 7 laptop (documents, pictures, music) to a MacBook Pro, probably using an external hard drive. Can I treat the AirPort Time Capsule as an external hard drive for both machines via the USB port?
- Asked by Wai-ming L from Detroit
- Sep 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Windows 7 laptop migration to MacBook Pro via AirPort Time Capsule)
Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?
The drive is starting to make some noise where it was virtually silent for three years. I'm concerned it might fail. I've restarted the drive a couple of times to verify the disk (as instructed by Apple) and no sign of a problem. Any suggestions?
- Asked by Bruce B from Westlake Village
- Aug 17, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?)
can i use TC as external wireless media source library for two Macs, and attach the ioSafe Fire/Waterproof HD via USB to use as TM?
Hello, thinking of getting the ioSafe Fireproof/waterproof HD, and am wondering the following:
- Basic sharing: can I wirelessly connect two Macs to TC via WiFi, and point all media directories to it as my source library? I'm able to connect everything to the drive and see the file structure, but can't figure how to utilize as my source library. The TC is the primary router for the household with about 12 devices using it (not simultaneously)
- can I do the above, and attach the ioSafe via USB to the TC, and use the ioSafe as the Time Capsule?
My hunch is I can, but I seem to be hitting various issues and I simply can't coherently connect the dots, so am hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance!!
(not asking for someone to explain step-by-step: that would be AWESOME, but also would be great to get something like " 1. yes, 2. no" and I'll do the research myself)
- Asked by Tyler C from San Francisco
- Aug 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use TC as external wireless media source library for two Macs, and attach the ioSafe Fire/Waterproof HD via USB to use as TM?)
No answers yet
Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?
So, I have this old macbook and would buy this time capsule if I can use it to transfer everything from my old computer to a brand new one that I just ordered. Does this work? Will I be able to keep all my programs such as Word, Powerpoint, even my games without having to RE-BUY them?
- Asked by John B from Astoria
- Sep 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Yes, do a normal Time Machine back to the Time Capsule and use the documented procedure to restore on your new device. Using a new Time Capsule, transfer rate are awesome, took 3 hours on my wife's MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Oct 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Is there any way to set up a wireless guest network using the new AirPort TC if the AirPort TC must be configured as a bridge and not a router?
I have seen posts indicating that this is not possible with earlier AirPort Time Capsules (I have a 4th generation now), but I"m wondering if this setup is available with the new 2013 APTC? We have Verizon FiOS for both internet and TV. My understanding is that the Verizon router must be left configured as a router for our network, and not as a bridge, in order for our FiOS TV to function correctly. As a result, if I buy the new APTC, I must continue to configure the APTC as a bridge and use it only as a wireless access point, not a router. Any chance that I could set up a guest wireless network with this setup? Thanks in advance for the help.
- Asked by Maureen C from Brookeville
- Nov 30, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there any way to set up a wireless guest network using the new AirPort TC if the AirPort TC must be configured as a bridge and not a router?)
No answers yet
I am running Windows 8 which is similar to 7. I have my laptop doing an auto backup to the TC drive.
Go to Control panel - System and Security - and follow the prompts. ( select drive in TC etc.)
I mapped the TC data drive so Windows could connect at log on. Not sure if I needed to do that as well
- Answered by Laurie P
- Jun 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does Windows Backup capability exists?? None of the Tech Specs mention it. Old Time Capsule worked.)