Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
561 Questions from the Community
Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?
The drive is starting to make some noise where it was virtually silent for three years. I'm concerned it might fail. I've restarted the drive a couple of times to verify the disk (as instructed by Apple) and no sign of a problem. Any suggestions?
- Asked by Bruce B from Westlake Village
- Aug 17, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?)
I need a big storage for my Mac Air and my PC HP 1T dstktop. plus my wireless router is 4+ yrs old. Can i partion this hard drive to work with both?
- Asked by Jessica B from Junction City
- Aug 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I need a big storage for my Mac Air and my PC HP 1T dstktop. plus my wireless router is 4+ yrs old. Can i partion this hard drive to work with both?)
do i need a modum if i have a time capsule
time capsule setup
- Asked by Daniel W from Uraidla
- Apr 8, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need a modum if i have a time capsule)
Yes the Time Capsule connects to your modem
The modem is what's creating the internet connection the Tome Capsule is taking that internet connection and broadcasting it wirelessly.
- Answered by Evelyn M from Brentwood
- Apr 9, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need a modum if i have a time capsule)
In addition to Time Machine from networked Macs, can I use this to back up an external drive connected to the Time Capsule via USB?
I currently use a Seagate hard drive to store all my family photos and videos and am concerned with a drive failure occurring. I would like to attach this Seagate drive to the new AirPort Time Capsure and have the Seagate backed up to the TIme Capsule. Is this possible? My goal is redundancy. Thanks!
- Asked by Joshua G from Brooklyn
- Jul 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (In addition to Time Machine from networked Macs, can I use this to back up an external drive connected to the Time Capsule via USB?)
Yes! I just did it. You can connect an external hard drive and use the built-in time capsule HD! It will give you the option of alternating between the two for back ups. Redundancy it is!
- Answered by Tony G from Little Rock
- Dec 3, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (In addition to Time Machine from networked Macs, can I use this to back up an external drive connected to the Time Capsule via USB?)
Can I combine two wifi routers
If I have a large home with two wifi routers, if I make one of them be the Airport Time capsule can I link the two together as one system with just one logon for wifi. Or I guess the question is can I make the other router a extension of the Airport Time capsule
- Asked by William S from Katy
- Oct 16, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I combine two wifi routers)
Does Time Capsule have auto shut off?
Or does it run 24/7? If so, I would be concerned about the HD's longevitiy.
- Asked by Thomas T from Sausalito
- Aug 6, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Time Capsule have auto shut off?)
can I use the time capsule as a NAS for Sonos, I currently have a WD NAS attached to my BT hub and ethernet from hub to sonos
Using as a Sonos library
can I use a 3TB HDD to back up my airport time capsule 3TB?
- Asked by Thomas C K from Buckhannon
- Apr 9, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use a 3TB HDD to back up my airport time capsule 3TB?)
is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd
- Asked by Thomas B from West Easton
- Feb 25, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd)
It's a 7200RPM HDD from Seagate I believe. Not sure on it's emotional state.
SSD is a total waste of money in this context. The SSD drive would be a Ferrari. The wireless network would be LA traffic.
- Answered by Brian F from San Diego
- Mar 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd)
Windows 7 is not supported.
- Answered by Ruben G from Covina
- Jun 23, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this time capsule as a backup for both my Imac and PC running Windows 7? They are both on the same wifi network)
This depends on what your situation is. The Airport Express can be used as a Wi-Fi extender to improve the range of your wireless network. Yo can also hook up the Express to your stereo/speakers and use the AirPlay function.
- Answered by Robert B from Derby
- Dec 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I still need my my Apple AirPort Express if I purchase a AirPort Time Capsule?)
i already have the older 4th gen version of the time capsule. Can i transfer from the older version to the new version without losing any data ?
No answers yet
Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?
- Asked by Sophie B from Philadelphia
- Jun 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?)
Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto
I have a macbook pro which I travel with and an iMac at home. So i end up with lots of photographs on both. Would be great if they were synced. I have had lots of trouble with iCloud and iphoto on both devices but no such issues with ipad and iphone.
Hopefully AirPort Time Capsule is the answer to my problems.
- Asked by Mark R
- Jul 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto)
Yes, but not manually merging the contents.
Apple Time Capsule (ATC) will back up files on a MacOSX system. I point that out because it only works with files, not making choices as to their contents. If those files include a user's "Pictures" directory (or wherever the user may have reconfigured the iPhoto folder(s)) then TimeMachine as a service will back up those iPhoto files to a TimeCapsule, but it doesn't do anything different with Photos than with Movies, Word Documents, or Garageband songs.
In your example, ATC would backup separate isolated backups of both Macs; this wouldn't give you the result of a single combined library, it would only give you the really great feeling of knowing your photos are securely preserved.
I think your best solution is a 3rd-party tool called "iPhoto Library Manager" by Fat Cat Software. This is a not-free product, and not supported by Apple of course, but I've used it very successfully to split libraries, and it offers the ability to merge content as well. This would be a manual action, but it has done a very good job of maintaining meta-data for me while it does its work.
- Answered by Allan C from White Rock
- Dec 2, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto)
Will an Airport Time Capsule purchased in the US work Europe? Is there an issue with approved channels or does the Time Capsule automatically change?Best Answer:
The Time Capsule should work fine in Europe. The radio frequency has not changed from previous generation WiFi transceivers. The new 802.11ac uses "beamforming" to try to vector the wireless signal directionally toward the clients (laptops, iPads, iPhones, etc.)
Apple products have power supplies that work everywhere. You will need the appropriate plug to fit your European type electrical outlet.
- Answered by Mark H from Santa Cruz
- Jun 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will an Airport Time Capsule purchased in the US work Europe? Is there an issue with approved channels or does the Time Capsule automatically change?)
Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?
Is it possible to bond or link two or three of the Ethernet (not WAN) ports into a single link for increased bandwidth and access speed?
- Asked by Jordan H from Edmonton
- Mar 9, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?)
Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?
My house is wired with ethernet jacks everywhere but my Xfinity router/cable modem combo isn't strong enough. I would like to know if I can set up the Time Capsule as a Wireless Access Point for the current network. As a separate question, I would also like to know how to set up the Time Capsule as a separate Wifi network in the house (new name/password) using the Airport Time Capsule. How do I do that as well?
- Asked by Jeffrey W from Los Altos
- Apr 20, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?)