What iPod generation offers wifi texting to iPhone without 3rd party app. Single father looking to communicate with young son.
I apologize up front for I'm sure this has been answered but I can't find the solution. I am a single father of a young man who is about to turn 8 years old. He lives with his mother for the most part but I do get him on weekends. (I wish I had him much more) anyways. I would like to get him something that isn't a full on mobile phone but something he can use to text me and me text him when we are apart.
I heard iPod touch can do that. The thing is they are very expensive (at least for me). I'm thinking I could buy a used iPod touch and save some money. Can anyone tell me what generation iPod first allowed wifi texting to iPhones without a 3rd party app? I'm looking for one that he can text me without having to do it through an app.
Also, if anyone out there has a better idea for my son and I to be able to communicate without a mobile phone for him please feel free to let me know. I currently have an iPhone and a Mac book. What would be the earliest iPod touch that allows wifi texting without a 3rd party app.
Thank you so much for any help.
2 Answers from the Community
I believe the 4th generation was the first to have imessage. I'd reccomend at least a 5th generation though since the 4 is kinda slow.
- Answered by Jack C from Stanhope Gardens
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
An iPod touch is a great solution with iMessage built into iOS, which you can text your son directly without the use of 3rd party applications. iMessage requires iOS 5 or higher, the oldest iPod touch that supports iMessage is the iPod touch 3rd Generation (32GB, 64GB), introduced in late 2009. However I would recommend buying the newer generations (eg, 4th, 5th, 6th) for the newer hardware and better iOS experience and app support. Hope that helps.
- Answered by Henry G from Richmond
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
will this connect the new 6th generation ipod touch ?
- Asked by Sophie W
- Flag as inappropriate (will this connect the new 6th generation ipod touch ?)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter
Can older ipod nanos use any charge cable? Have the connections changed with gen 4,5,6?
- Asked by Brenda H from Scottsdale
- Flag as inappropriate (Can older ipod nanos use any charge cable? Have the connections changed with gen 4,5,6?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
Is this the longest cable you offer?
- Asked by Adolphus Puck E from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the longest cable you offer?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (2m)