How do I get sound output from the TV (and not the laptop) when I connect my MacBook Air to a TV using Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter?
When I connect my late 2010 13" MacBook Air using the Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter to my Samsung 19" TV or to my View Sonic monitor the display is just fine but the sound keeps coming out of the laptop and not the TV. I have tried the sound settings in System Preferences but the Output menu doesn't show any device attached, just the internal speakers.
- Asked by Sanjay Kumar S
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I get sound output from the TV (and not the laptop) when I connect my MacBook Air to a TV using Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
4 Answers from the Community
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
VGA only carries video.
The head phone jack on the laptop will carry the sound. Where you hooked the VGA on the back of your TV should be a sound in input next to it. In may be RCA or the same as the laptop headphone plug. (I can't remember the name of that plug.)
Like all TVs. There's inputs one, two, three, etc.... Each input can serve HDMI, RCA, Super-S. Most all new Flat TVs carry a computer hook-up as well in the form of VGA or HDMI etc.... Look close at those inputs and you will see the needed plugs to make them work.
- Answered by Donald B from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The VGA cable does not carry audio, you must have a separate audio cable.
- Answered by Robert M from Menifee
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Thanks a lot for the advice. It just hadn't occurred to me because before purchasing this adapter for Mac I had only used HDMI cables on my PC which did not require any additional audio cord. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Thanks!
- Answered by Sanjay Kumar S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
System Preferences>Sound>Output. Your TV should show up. Highlight it and exit.
- Answered by Alexander S C from Chemainus
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Which adapter is the least costly and can be used to connect my iPhone 6s to my hdmi television
- Asked by Leroy F from Kings Mountain
- Flag as inappropriate (Which adapter is the least costly and can be used to connect my iPhone 6s to my hdmi television)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
I have a 'Mini Display Port' to 'DVI' cable - does this cable help for new model of Macbook Air to TV?
- Asked by Isabel A from Oakwood
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a 'Mini Display Port' to 'DVI' cable - does this cable help for new model of Macbook Air to TV?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter