Is this the sensor for the garage overhead door as well?
- Asked by Andrew N from Fort Worth
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the sensor for the garage overhead door as well?)
2 Answers from the Community
It could be used for an overhead garage door IF you're able to find a place to mount each piece. The two parts need to align when closed, and would need to be installed in such a way that they don't interfere with the garage door mechanisms. I'm sure it could be done, but since there's so much variation in garage door systems, it'd be difficult to say if it'd work on yours.
Another popular option for sensing garage door status are tilt sensors that mount only on the door- however I don't believe there are currently any such sensors that support HomeKit.
- Answered by Paul S from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I use two of these for my garage doors. It's a magnetic switch but you can use a different magnet if you need to span a larger gap. I bought some L brackets, nuts and bolts, and stronger magnets at my local hardware store and mounted each magnet to the top of each garage door with the sensor mounted on the wall above the closed garage door. That was the easiest and best solution for my installation.
- Answered by Robert S from Norwell
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does this obstruct the iPad camera or sensors?
- Asked by Brian S from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this obstruct the iPad camera or sensors?)
- Asked about: Gamevice Controller for iPad mini